bikemike

Bikemike's picture thread

Well  we don't use a dishwasher. Ive never lived anywhere with one. Remember i live in the South ( georgia) there is one in my parents house but my parents think there a waste of water so its never been used its full of, whatever lol.

If i did cups for people i would tell them not to dish wash them or it could fade. or peel.

not sure how well the heat transfer cups and all do.. have to look into them.

I maybe wrong and others can correct me, but I don't believe there are vinyls designed for heat transfer to non fabric materials. If you're putting a decal on a mug/glass, standard vinyl is what you'd use.

You maybe getting confused with sublimation, which uses heat to transfer a printed image to a mug.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, darcshadow said:

I maybe wrong and others can correct me, but I don't believe there are vinyls designed for heat transfer to non fabric materials. If you're putting a decal on a mug/glass, standard vinyl is what you'd use.

You maybe getting confused with sublimation, which uses heat to transfer a printed image to a mug.

Not sure what they use, i just seen there are heat transfer looking machines for cups. I figured it was some sort of special heat transfer they were using.

That would be the sublimation. You need a printer set up for that, the transfer paper and cups or whatever you are doing made for that process.

7 hours ago, bikemike said:

That would be the sublimation. You need a printer set up for that, the transfer paper and cups or whatever you are doing made for that process.

Oh... Alright, guess i will stick to doing just vinyl those printers are costly i think.

Nice shirt

Made this for the wife to put on her desk to show off my work.

It is not a glass, it's 5 x 5 inch, she is going to use it as a candy dish.

I guess it could be a whiskey glass for the hard core people.

20180206_142255.jpg

20180206_142138.jpg

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:01 PM, Dakotagrafx said:

Not trying to photobomb Mikes thread but I am also a fan of the coarse sand with a deep etch that you just can't get with the acid cream - but I can see where I might use  cream on pyrex like Haumana said - not sure I would want to try to etch pyrex real deep

P8180524.JPG

I have done a lot of pyrex without any negative effects. It's sort so easy to get deep before you realize it. I typically do them backwards on the bottom so you can read them from the top when they are empty. Huge hit as wedding gifts. 

• Like 1

I use the cream for now, after I move more of my jeep shop equipment dn I will start blasting. I have a freestanding cabinet , thought about going ahead and buying 1 of the small harbor freight table top cabinets

I built my own for about $50. Wood with rubber bottom. Had it for probably 10 years now. May not be perfect, but works great.

I would guess over twice the size of the harbor ones.

• Like 3

pictures mike - maybe someone else will want to copy your design for a DIY project.  We had a guy a few years ago make one from a large plastic tub - not fancy but worked

• Like 1

I thought about building 1, time is my issue... not enough of it. but I have a couple of the siphon kits that have the gun and tube u just stick dn in a bucket of sand. it was cheaper to buy those than replacement nozzles.

I'm getting ready to do some major rearranging in the back of the shop. we have some many different things going on n 1 place. from moving out businesses in the area that have shut dn my back bay is full of crap, and 99% of it not mine. hoping to bring my 2 post lift sitting on my trailer dn and get it set up. that way some real work can start. lol

Ok, will get into the garage again shortly.

Its a basic big wood box with a hinged lid. Set it at 45 degrees so the sand falls to the bottom and is reclaimed.

I used 4" toilet flanges for the arm holes, but found them to small for me. Switched them to 6" HVAC take offs. shoulder width apart for your arms.

1 hole for a halogen flood light. (you need that)

1 hole for a shop vac. ( you really need that)

And one more hole for the air line coming in.

Basic siphon feed blaster from harbor freight.

Also need 2 holes in the front for sand blast gloves form harbor freight and 6 1/2 inch hose clamps to hold them on the HVAC take offs.

The air supply from your compressor has to be dry. NOT ya, it's dry. Filtered and running through an air drier. If the air is a tiny bit wet, you will not blast anything.

Shop vac hole at the top  corner. Air hole, don't mater. Light hole in the middle side.

Will get pic's in a few min.

Let me know what I missed after the pic's.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cardudenc said:

I thought about building 1, time is my issue... not enough of it. but I have a couple of the siphon kits that have the gun and tube u just stick dn in a bucket of sand. it was cheaper to buy those than replacement nozzles.

I'm getting ready to do some major rearranging in the back of the shop. we have some many different things going on n 1 place. from moving out businesses in the area that have shut dn my back bay is full of crap, and 99% of it not mine. hoping to bring my 2 post lift sitting on my trailer dn and get it set up. that way some real work can start. lol

I just have one of the table top versions from HF. I think the kind with a stand have a steeper angle on the funnel part and circulate the media better but I didn't pay much for this thing. I did a few mods like hooking up a good spot for a vacuum and adding a water separator and pressure regulator on the back (also from Harbor Freight). A bucket and a siphon gun (I think the siphon guns are the easiest to use for glass etching) would work outdoors just be careful if you use any kind of media that will create silica. Sand is super dangerous and people often don't realize how bad it is if you blast with it improperly. I don't care if you want to be stupid and kill yourself off but you will pack the silica dust in your home and kill your kids too. Much like asbestos it takes a long time for the damage to surface and silicosis is just as deadly and painful as mesothelioma. There are affordable non-silicate options out there that can be used instead with great results. 

I don't "go after" sand blasts jobs but occasionally do them if someone asks me to. The rest I do for myself and get the pleasure of giving awesome gifts. Another big hit is Christmas time I go to a local liquidator type store and buy cheap glass storage bottles (they are square so probably not technically a bottle) and sandblast cool Christmas themes on them and usually one side has the families name with a fancy wreath or something. Fill it with M&M's or home made chocolate and  your a hero. 

• Like 1

Ok, y'all asked and here it is.

Standard 3 foot wide by 2 feet by 2 feet box made with 1x2's  and plywood. All screws, no nails.

You can see the HVAC take offs on the front and the plexiglass window on the top. Easy.

IMG_0400.JPG

• Like 2

On the right you can see the light in and the air hose in holes. Ignore the hose hanging there, it is extra siphon tube.

IMG_0401.JPG

• Like 1

On the left side you can see the shop vac hole. You want this up and out of your way. Saves on grit and by not being to close the the nozzle. mainly is there to get rid of the dust. If you don't get rid of the dust, you can't see nothing!

IMG_0402.JPG

Inside with the lid up you see you have very good access to get stuff in and out.

IMG_0403.JPG

Here you can see the sand blast gloves and the siphon blaster

There is 50lbs of what they call black beauty. It is coal slag and will easily cut glass, steel and skin.

50 lbs of anything should last a very long time. When it won't etch anymore ,shovel it out and replace. I get it for $14 per 50 lbs.

IMG_0404.JPG

• Like 1

Couple of notes.

DO NOT do this in the house.

DO NOT use what is called "play sand" it will kill you!!!!

Find some cheap clear plastic for the inside of the window. I will get blasted and you will not see in. You can get sheets from harbor freight just for that cheap.

This design does leak, not a big deal if you have a way to clean your garage.

What did I miss?

Oh, I did put a rubber floor in that thing. You don't need it. I have had that for 10 years and the bare plywood is fine. If you do blow a hole in the plywood it is because you didn't believe you could. You can, don't!

cool design, simple, and easier to build. I was thinking more cuts and angles like the way my stand up cabinet was made. never thought of building it like that. thanks for the pics

I like your blast cabinet.  Simple and to the point.

For lining the inside of your glass, go to a local flower shop and have them get you a roll of the plastic they wrap flowers in. It's really tough and cheep!

For my old cabinet I had a Dust Deputy and shopvac attached to it and it helped a lot.  But when I got a bigger shop vac that was pulling more cubic feet of air than the compressor was putting out the change was dramatic. . .virtually no dust ever leaked out of the cabinet and almost none clouding my view.  I miss that cabinet, but now you've got me thinking about building another.

• Like 2

On 2/7/2018 at 12:26 AM, cardudenc said:

cool design, simple, and easier to build. I was thinking more cuts and angles like the way my stand up cabinet was made. never thought of building it like that. thanks for the pics

I was going to do the funnel thing, but decided for what I needed, that would work.

10 min to change out the grit.

22 hours ago, ShaneGreen said:

I like your blast cabinet.  Simple and to the point.

For lining the inside of your glass, go to a local flower shop and have them get you a roll of the plastic they wrap flowers in. It's really tough and cheep!

For my old cabinet I had a Dust Deputy and shopvac attached to it and it helped a lot.  But when I got a bigger shop vac that was pulling more cubic feet of air than the compressor was putting out the change was dramatic. . .virtually no dust ever leaked out of the cabinet and almost none clouding my view.  I miss that cabinet, but now you've got me thinking about building another.

I just use whatever I have laying around that is clear and put it on with shipping tape.

Dust is the one you have to get rid of. If you don't, you can not see what you are doing.

Also check the pressure you are blasting at. I used the compressor for something else and forgot to check. Almost blew the mug out of my hand. In that time, it also blew all the masking off. 145psi is not a good idea!

And to add. Use the cheapest vinyl you have or stuff that has been sitting to long to use fare sales to mask. For the rest, dollar store masking tape works fine.

50 to 60 psi and paying attention will get you what you want. Move the gun around. Holding it in one spot will ruin your work.

Bubbles are a no no. They blast through fast.

• Like 2