bikemike

Bikemike's picture thread

32 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

Nice stuff.. But Thanks..... Now the Wife wants to do glasses LOL

Easy, for valentines day you need an 80gal compressor and a sand blast cabinet.

Bit overboard on the 80 gal, but then she can buy you air tools to fix her car.

Made this for the young daughter.

She said "it is too cute to put on right now" (she's 5)

Whatever that means.

20180204_175803.thumb.jpg.0288b24e6305d2c395804dbc154a5f2d.jpg

3 hours ago, bikemike said:

Easy, for valentines day you need an 80gal compressor and a sand blast cabinet.

Bit overboard on the 80 gal, but then she can buy you air tools to fix her car.

I was going to ask how they were made, I didn't think it was vinyl. unless it was the heat vinyl wasn't sure if you could heat transfer to a glass cup or not.

We will be doing vinyl decals on mugs and glasses for family. I have seen they have heat transfer machines for doing heat transfer also..

Air compressor i have. sand blast cabinet i don't. What is that called doing that?

nice Shirt

Glass etching.

Weed your vinyl the opposite of what you want, put it on the glass, mask the rest off with masking tape and blast.

Lots of info on the forum on settings and such.

Glass etching.

Weed your vinyl the opposite of what you want, put it on the glass, mask the rest off with masking tape and blast.

Lots of info on the forum on settings and such.

Awesome, thanks for the info

There is a glass etching cream that's available, if there's no room for the air compressor and sand blasting cabinet.

It'll work in a bind. I had someone cream etch pyrex baking dishes for everyone in her family - we have lots of pot lucks here, and often times a dish makes it way into someone else's kitchen collection. No longer a problem now!

• Like 1

Cream is ok. Sand lets you decide if you want a deep etch or something a bit smother. You can also change the grit and get the rough finish. Depends on what you want to accomplish. Heavy beer mugs I like the rough deep etch for that man kind of thing.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Cream is ok. Sand lets you decide if you want a deep etch or something a bit smother. You can also change the grit and get the rough finish. Depends on what you want to accomplish. Heavy beer mugs I like the rough deep etch for that man kind of thing.

Totally agree with you. I much prefer sand over cream.

7 minutes ago, haumana said:

Totally agree with you. I much prefer sand over cream.

removed.

3 hours ago, haumana said:

There is a glass etching cream that's available, if there's no room for the air compressor and sand blasting cabinet.

It'll work in a bind. I had someone cream etch pyrex baking dishes for everyone in her family - we have lots of pot lucks here, and often times a dish makes it way into someone else's kitchen collection. No longer a problem now!

All the videos i was finding on Utube was the cream.. Showed to the wife she thought was neat.. I'm not sure i would want to try the Sand or not. im sure you have really thick gloves on when messing with it.. the one guy said to wear a evaporator mask when doing it. does the cream way not hold up as well over time?

Not trying to photobomb Mikes thread but I am also a fan of the coarse sand with a deep etch that you just can't get with the acid cream - but I can see where I might use  cream on pyrex like Haumana said - not sure I would want to try to etch pyrex real deep

P8180524.JPG

• Like 1

The cream does hold up. It is not very deep, as in almost cant feel it. You do need thick stuff to play with sand, especially your eyes. That stuff gets everywhere.

But, that cream is strong enough to eat glass. Very toxic and will eat your skin.

The best of 2 evils? I like the sand. NOT play sand. that stuff will kill you from your lungs out.

The cream holds up pretty well, it's just not as impressive as sand blasting. It's basically an acid etch on the glass, and feels like there is no depth to it. It does it's job and removes the gloss from the glass. It just stinks, so try to do it outside or in a well ventilated area. Make sure that you have the mask down really well on the edges that you plan on blasting, or using the cream.

Etching cream is fairly cheap, give it a try.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

Not trying to photobomb Mikes thread but I am also a fan of the coarse sand with a deep etch that you just can't get with the acid cream - but I can see where I might use  cream on pyrex like Haumana said - not sure I would want to try to etch pyrex real deep

P8180524.JPG

That is the etch I try to get. Has a special look to it.

• Like 1

Then after cleanup.

Dakota gets better pics.

20171207_133316.thumb.jpg.615d7e9751cec037b16fb0a916d8574f.jpgAnd, we got the same mugs!!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dakotagrafx said:

dollar tree mugs??

Yup, even up here in Canada. Ok, south of you, but up here.

oh wow, I notice on the bottle it said can burn your skin and they recommenced to wear gloves. maybe I should stick with Vinyl.

Vinyl can't go in the dishwasher. And you know they will do it.

Etched is for life.

A good sandblaster will also take your fingers down to the bone.

19 minutes ago, eprcvinyls said:

oh wow, I notice on the bottle it said can burn your skin and they recommenced to wear gloves. maybe I should stick with Vinyl.

Yes, but a lot of household cleaning solutions, so just exercise due caution when using. It's nothing to be afraid of :P

2 minutes ago, Dakotagrafx said:

a lot of people have a tabletop cabinet just for glasses - cuts the mess and saves the hands :)

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/jobsmart-abrasive-blast-cabinet

Ditto. I have a table top. It's big enough to get glassware and hydroflasks in.

13 minutes ago, bikemike said:

Vinyl can't go in the dishwasher. And you know they will do it. Etched is for life.

Yah, more than people will admit to. Some don't care, and some vinyl weathers the dishwashing storm quite well (although not recommended).