TT57

LARGE cut for wall

ok, if someone has time to waste, can you show me a screenshot of how you would layout a tree like the one shown -or any extra large tree- to be able to cut. I got it that you would have to piece together but my mind is not grasping how to lay it out.

I suppose i would need to know how to cut pieces apart to lay it out. Maybe that is my real question. 

I am using SCAL- i like SCAL - so is there a knife tool i hear people talk about in other programs to just slice through a limb.? Then i suppose i would move it to empty space to maximize my vinyl. 

I am using a SC cutter 24" wide. post-36131-0-14228300-1395811010_thumb.j

I haven't had my copy of SCALP for a while but if I remember correctly they have not gotten around to adding tiles yet. About the only way I had much success was making the cutting mat size the size of the vinyl you will be cutting and sliding the design off the side and it will only cut what is on the mat. Then you scoot it over and do another section. That's probably not the advice you are looking for but it was the best way I found when I used that program. Seems like it wouldn't cut through the design right at the point where it left the mat so you have to take an exactor to it. If I were you I would try a free 7 day trial of SignCut Pro and it will slice it right up for you with built in overlap and every thing. 

• Like 1

Thanks Wildgoose, that is the only way i knew how also. I was wondering if there was another way. If i am not mistaken, SignCut came with the cutter also when i got it. Will have to check on that when i get home. Does signcut have a knife tool to do it the other way? I guess i will ask for those directions when i see if i have the program. 

SignCut will tile the subject according to the size of the vinyl you enter,

Though I dont have much experience using this feature.

I prefer to construct my own files in Inkscape. I get way more control over things like layout and nesting than

SignCut gives me. I can perform this task in Illustrator but am more comfortable (for now) with the former.

I whipped up this BRIEF explanation as to how, though you may want to play with a scaled down version

so as to not waste too much vinyl till it clicks.

post-43059-0-15934300-1395815490_thumb.p

I generally try and work full scale... in this case the subject is a tree I want 84 inches tall.

I import my tree vector and size it according to my need.

Figure 1 is just a piece of vinyl Ive drawn 24 inches wide x 88 or so inches long.

I duplicate this 3 times to have enough to cover the subject,

sliding them over the subject with a little overlap. (figure 2)

You can then shorten them if the entire length is not needed.

Duplicate the subject for as many copies as there are strips needed to cover it. In this case 3.

Figure 3 shows where you select both a strip and one of the tree dupes and use Path>Intersection to cut out

a color pattern for the tree parts that fall within that strip. Repeat this with the other 2 strips.

Figure 4 show what you are left with... (in this case) a 3 color file that allows individual cutting of the segments.

TreeTileLayout.svg

TreeTileLayout.eps

• Like 3

Newest scalp has tiling, just got it for the same reason, have to cut a tree. Once downloaded its under the cut tab. It also has some other new features to check out as well

Newest scalp has tiling, just got it for the same reason, have to cut a tree. Once downloaded its under the cut tab. It also has some other new features to check out as well

Hey it finally happend! Well there you go theresat. In signcut you just click the tiling pallet and insert tiling lines wherever you want them and there is a setting that you decide how much overlap you want to have (I use 1/4") and make sure you are cutting a weeding border and you are done. At the start you need to have the vinyl width in the program and it will tell you if there is a problem with the width of tile you are wanting to do. You can also tile around a specific small piece if you screwed something up and x-out all the rest and just cut one little piece of the design. Super handy and hopefully SCALP tiling will work as well. I wouldn't count on it though....did I just say that out loud?

• Like 1

EL,  what version are you running in SCALP? AND is there a visual tutorial on it that you know of ? OH and THANKS everyone. 

oh EL, when you do your tree, you need to do a video tutorial . :rolleyes:  ;D  ;D  ;D

• Like 2

FLexi just auto tiles according to vinyl size. I think every cut software I have ever used does this. Sign Blazer, Signcut and flexipro. Never had to tile anything. Just paid attention to orientation.

WOody

oh EL, when you do your tree, you need to do a video tutorial . :rolleyes:  ;D  ;D  ;D

Not to sound dumb, but I don't know how to do video on screen when working... past my old brains workings, if some can explain to me I can try be a few weeks, she hasn't even painted room yet LOL

• Like 1

Not to sound dumb, but I don't know how to do video on screen when working... past my old brains workings, if some can explain to me I can try be a few weeks, she hasn't even painted room yet LOL

me neither !!! don't feel so bad.  Also, tell her the board is waiting so get that wall painted. :)

• Like 1

me neither !!! don't feel so bad.  Also, tell her the board is waiting so get that wall painted. :)

Well she is due yesterday, so her mother is doing the painting, but wait.... not sure on color LOL

got id loaded. :) I am experiencing mishaps tho. When I go to "Undo" an action my whole design DISAPPEARED. I called you a few names at that point. --- HAHAHHAHA - JUST KIDDING.  anyway,it was no where to be found so I sent it to myself again from my other computer and had to do the retweaking but finally done. Will have to experiment when I have time. Gotta get the glass templates done for etching. Here is what disappeared. Looks simple but took ME lots of time getting it sized . The lady sent me a pic and asked for me to do one like it.

post-36131-0-76580200-1396233536_thumb.j

• Like 3

thanks guys. It took 2 times to get it done straight. The first time was crooked so had to RECUT :angry: . The second time i applied line by line. :rolleyes: I also marked my spots on the canvas and put tape down for my line . Should have done that the first time. Oh well, live and learn. Of course, if i weren't horizontally challenged it would have been straight the first time. :-\

OK so far the tile option sucks for Scalp. It gets to a point and then cuts the seperator line a bazillion times. So I took scarekrow tutorial at the middle of this post and made my own tiles, gonna cut em tonight. Here goes nothing lol

Once you get used to doing the tiling yourself you won't want to give up the control over all facets that the skill gives you.

Just getting control over the individually tiled files usually results in less waste.

• Like 1

Once you get used to doing the tiling yourself you won't want to give up the control over all facets that the skill gives you.

Worked perfect, yup gonna be alot easier to just make mine then try to figure out the tiling feature in SCALP

Thanks for the tips Skarekrow  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

post-36874-0-28559300-1399236519_thumb.j

Well the tree is cut and up. I had to redraw the tree by hand by looking at a tree she found on the net.

• Like 4

Here is a large tree that I made. I had to break it up into about 7 sections to cut it out.

post-6882-0-57699500-1399236958_thumb.jp

• Like 4