fedjastacey

Creation ct-630 strange USB problem

Hey guys

I have a creation ct-630 USB version. I understand the cutter has a serial to USB conversion and I did everything fi should. Installed the USB driver and got it working with signcut. And everything works great

But strangely every now and then when the cutter and laptop have been rebooted / restarted under device manager it states the device is no longer working and it has a mark next to it

By messing around and changing USB port and plugging the USB cable in and out while the cutter is on sometimes solves the problem and the cutter gets recognised as it should and it gets assigned a com port as it should

So it's working sort of but just very very annoying

Anyone know why this happens and is there a way to stop it?

Thanks in advance for any help

You don't offer enough info...

We can guess you're running some version of windows since you mention 'device manager'.

You're also trying to use the built-in usb port of the cutter, which in itself is enough info to start solving your problems.

First off, do not use the built-in usb port of the cutter. If you don't have a true serial port, look into (search) the Keyspan adapter. Yes, it's just a USB to serial adapter, but this one actually works.

Second, in windows, there's no guarantee at all that your usb port will come up as the same serial port number after a reboot. Windows is famous for assigning a completely new port number to connected USB-serial devices.

As far as using the built-in port of the cutter. Yes, the cutter would probably have to be on when you turn on the computer or plug in the cable for it to be recognized.

But just wait for all the typical USB issues when you cut with it...

• Like 2

Bearlyrich

Thanks for the advice bro

I was running windows 8.1 and I had same issues so I downgraded to windows 7 hoping it would lessen the issues and it has but still it happens

Trouble is my desktop and laptop don't have on oats serial ports if I did buy the key span adapter

But saying that tho I do know I could get am add on PCI card with serial port on it

I am willing to give anything a try.

Cheers for your help

Just looked at a keyspan adapter. I am confused now.

On my cutter there is only a USB port on it as if I get a keyspan adapter and connect that to the USB port on my laptop how do I then connect the serial cable to the cutter if there isn't a serial port on the cutter?

I am surprised your cutter doesn't have a serial port. Mine even came with a cable. Should be right beside the usb 1 plugin. The Keyspan is just to convert from a usb at your computer to the serial cable on that end of the connection. I bought an adapter but couldn't find the Keyspan brand and the one i bought didn't work so be sure to get one that people have had success with (assuming you can find the serial port on your machine to even use)

I am surprised your cutter doesn't have a serial port. Mine even came with a cable. Should be right beside the usb 1 plugin. The Keyspan is just to convert from a usb at your computer to the serial cable on that end of the connection. I bought an adapter but couldn't find the Keyspan brand and the one i bought didn't work so be sure to get one that people have had success with (assuming you can find the serial port on your machine to even use)

definitelly strange.  just had a good luck, on the left side its power input and the on/off switch and on the other side (right) is just a usb port, no serial port insight :(

It's odd that a "CT" series doesn't have the serial port? Begs the question of how new is the cutter and was it purchased in the US?

So if you're stuck with a straight USB connection, you're also stuck with Windows oddities in dealing with them. That would mean having the cutter on when you turn on your computer. May also depend on drivers but I have no idea what drivers would be used. If it's the standard windows drivers, you're out of luck I suppose?

Yep, that probably explains it. I vaguely remember from a couple years ago finding out that the PCut sold in the US is not exactly the same as sold in Europe and other places. That "CT" is probably truly a "CR" series as shown in your link.

And, by the way, how the heck do you find out all the stuff you know about of this forum? Good grief! :blink::lol::bear:

Yep, that probably explains it. I vaguely remember from a couple years ago finding out that the PCut sold in the US is not exactly the same as sold in Europe and other places. That "CT" is probably truly a "CR" series as shown in your link.

And, by the way, how the heck do you find out all the stuff you know about of this forum? Good grief! :blink::lol::bear:

she is one smart cookie and detective  :ph34r:

• Like 2

Thanks,  there is probably not too many posts that I have not read on here,  and I absorb it,  the good and the bad...  I remembered someone from Australia having a Pcut with only a USB... a few years back..  So,, I just did a search online,  Pcut,,, USB only.   there ya go.   There is also a PCut that has a SD card reader on it. 

I  have been doing more picking and choosing of topics now,  only the ones that interest me... so I don't read them all now.

I too have been doing some digging and yes there is several different version of it

Mine is branded as ct-630 and comes as USB only no serial port at all. Which sucks when wanting to avoid the USB issues every seems to experience

But so far so good few little glitches but it's not a bad entry level cutter once you get to grips with it

Thanks,  there is probably not too many posts that I have not read on here,  and I absorb it,  the good and the bad...  I remembered someone from Australia having a Pcut with only a USB... a few years back..  So,, I just did a search online,  Pcut,,, USB only.   there ya go.   There is also a PCut that has a SD card reader on it. 

I  have been doing more picking and choosing of topics now,  only the ones that interest me... so I don't read them all now.

The PCut that your referring to is the CS630G which comes with a SD card reader, or at least it does on mine which I bought here in The Philippines....Only problem I have is that the card reader doesn't seem to work on my cutter :)