Sign in to follow this  
JoeCamaro

Working for others? I think I Quit!

signguyjohn, that was very inspiration. thanks ;)

I second that!

Thank you and you too haumana.

Why I dont like it? Well if I can have my design, put it on a shirt and sell it for $15 to $20, why would I want to be making promo or uniform shirts for other for $5 to $7 a piece? Yeah, I know that six $5 shirts are better than one $15 shirt, but I think I must concentrate in what I really want.

Also, all that time in invest or "waste" doing that, I could be doing more stuff to reach my goal, dont you think? I mean, I still want to do custom shirts, after all that is one advantage of the vinyl, but I dont want to be a screenprinter with vinyl, you know what I mean?

Well my friends, what do you think?

Joe

Joe,

The only time a tshirt exits my shop at $5-$7each is if it's a 1-color print on about (Qty) 200 shirts.  Add in labor for yourself, job overhead (screens, vinyl/waste), pay your rent (if in your home, mortgage!) lights, utilities, groceries, etc.. and unless you're doing a high volume, those $5-$7 shirts should be far off.  To do shirts at that price, you'd have to have CONSTANT business.. then you'd most likely be unhappy because your time is devoted to the company, instead of a balance between work and *family*.

I hope you are able to find that balance, and follow your dream.  It's good to step back every once in a while to make sure you're "on course" to achieve your personal goals.

Last year, my wife moved out... and I thought I would be giving up the biz. to get a job working for "the man".  I refocused.  Raised my prices, and worked on marketing with a professional business referral group.. and I've never been busier!!!  And that's with HIGHER prices! 

In fact, on Friday, I finished up an order that was a personalized item for ole' Hank Williams Jr.  It was referral work, and I made a pretty penny on it.  My kids have never heard of him, and heck, I really enjoy Hank senior's songs...  but you can make your dreams come true...  Just focus.  If changing is what's in the cards for you - then so be it...

Rex S.

Tees and Things

Richardson, Tx

Rex, glad to hear things are going so well!  Can you tell me how you went about finding a professional business referral group??

Thanks.

Jenny

Hey friends, just to let you know, I followed your advices and Im ready to rock and roll!

I have already started working in some of the things I have had in mind. I appreciate your support.

Expact news coming soon!

Joe

Joe, that's great news!  I'm sure with your desire things will all fall into place!! Keep up the good work and keep us updated.

Jenny

Working for yourself is sooo incredibly worth it... if you can make a living from it.  If you can - then follow your dream!

My husband and I have spend many a 24 Hour shift making a deadline for a customer, and many grueling weekend too. Some of our friends say they would never leave their 9-5 job to do that...  But they can't leave in the middle of the day for thier kids birthday, or hang a "gone fishing" sign up and take off Thursday for and extended weekend. 

It is a trade off, and it is hard.  But the benefits are worth it.  It works for us!

hey yall, like they say in the south when somebody is working on something great, JOE IS PREGNANT, AND WILL GIVE BIRTH SOON1

GOOD LUCK JOE, I CAN DO IT. B)

Rex - would you mind sharing that info with me too? I  know I could use all the help and advice as possible  B)

Okay - But I'll post it on another thread - so as to not hijack this thread.  Watch for another post this evening.

Thanks,

Rex