Sign in to follow this  
Wildgoose

Flatbed scanner recommedations

I currently have a Kodak all in one printer/copy/scan/fax that I used before I got my Epson WF30. Now it just does duty as a scanner but it doesn't scan all that great (kinda blurry/unclear) and it doesn't like my mac all that much either, I had to find some generic drivers to get it to work at all. What are some recommendations that are working good for you guys and especially if you use a mac. The Epson gets along great with mac. 

I am probably just looking for a scan only flatbed machine if I can find one. 

When I upgraded I went to an Epson all in one also. Sorry no input on a stand alone scanner.

People still use scanners? There are apps that use your smart phone and automatically converts the picture to an editable pdf file. 

• Like 1

People still use scanners? There are apps that use your smart phone and automatically converts the picture to an editable pdf file. 

That's great for vector work - not so great if you're wanting a high resolution scan of someone's baby picture to use for printing work...

I second Madhattergraphix's suggestion for the WF7510 or 7520.  I went searching for just a large flatbed scanner and most of them are more expensive than an all-in-one system.

The 7510/20 scans up to 11" x 17" @ 1200x2400 DPI and is WiFi, Ethernet or USB connectable.  You can pick up a refurbished (with full warranty) 7510 from the Epson Outlet on ebay for $150 including shipping, or upgrade to the 7520 for only $30 more and add a second paper tray and duplexer.  Both have automatic document feed, so you scan a whole stack of documents/photos at once.

Per their website, these two all-in-ones are compatible with "Mac OS® X 10.4.11, 10.5.x, 10.6.x, and 10.7.x8Server Systems5"...  They are also Apple AirPrint compatible.

You can also replace the OEM cartridges with refillable cartridges from Cobra Ink ($72), or upgrade them to CISS ($100 empty, $170 with 16 oz of ink) and go a LONG time between refills.  Either way will save you a ton of money in the long run, if you print.

As I type this, my 7520 is printing out a set of 13"x19" signs for the city market - they currently have hand-drawn posterboard signs hanging in the windows and one of our state senators is coming to town today to see the market and so I volunteered to print them something a little nicer until they decide what days/hours they really plan to be open and put up something more permanent - hopefully they'll come back to when that happens, and I'll sub it out to someone with equipment better suited for printing permanent signage...

• Like 2

Off topic, but this is the sign I mentioned replacing in my previous post... Pretty, but not very professional, as you can see...

post-24492-0-22792800-1395338903_thumb.j

And before anyone asks... I took the picture from the inside and flipped it horizontally, which is why you see cars behind the sign...

And this is what I left them with...

post-24492-0-51541500-1395339898_thumb.j

• Like 3

Off topic, but this is the sign I mentioned replacing in my previous post... Pretty, but not very professional, as you can see...

attachicon.gifmarket sign before.jpg

And before anyone asks... I took the picture from the inside and flipped it horizontally, which is why you see cars behind the sign...

And this is what I left them with...

attachicon.gifmarket after.jpg

nice

• Like 1

Thanks, when I don't have to cut & weed, I can get extra fancy... ;-)

• Like 1

Thanks, when I don't have to cut & weed, I can get extra fancy... ;-)

That's why I like sublimation plus I don't have to remember to weld.

• Like 1

Goose,

I just bought one of these a couple months back. I only need letter sized. I have zero complaints with it. works well and is dirt cheap. Has pretty strong reviews also.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VQR1UC/ref=oh_details_o07_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's a good link and kind of what I was originally thinking but I was expecting to pay more so I am now considering the WF7510 or 20 option that OW and others recommended. If I go that route I will want to go ahead and get pigment ink so I can finally do larger transfers.....AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!  It never seems to be a simple decision does it? I could easily blow a TON of money on all the upgrades I would like. Like being the operative word. Thanks for all the input fella's 

• Like 1

That's a good link and kind of what I was originally thinking but I was expecting to pay more so I am now considering the WF7510 or 20 option that OW and others recommended. If I go that route I will want to go ahead and get pigment ink so I can finally do larger transfers.....AAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!  It never seems to be a simple decision does it? I could easily blow a TON of money on all the upgrades I would like. Like being the operative word. Thanks for all the input fella's 

Epson Workforce printers all come with Pigment ink by default, so you won't have to worry about an additional expense to upgrade to pigment later.

• Like 1

Epson Workforce printers all come with Pigment ink by default, so you won't have to worry about an additional expense to upgrade to pigment later.

CISS tanks are the way to go after the stock ones run out though, I have been really happy with CobraInk Systems on my WF30. 

• Like 1