Jay2703

Sand Blasting

I bought a small blast cabinet and the gun comes with 4 tips (3/4/5/7mm). I was wondering what people use for mask, pressure and tips for blasting different things. I imaging that just basic etching of glasses you would use low pressure and a larger tip and for going deeper you would use more pressure and a smaller tip. Does this seem right?  

I started with the 5mm and 80 grit AO. I had a piece of marble tile laying around and did this. I used 651 for my mask.  The cabinet works pretty well and seems to be pretty well made. I found replacement tips online for $15 for 5 tips.

post-1636-0-95737800-1395194455_thumb.jp

• Like 1

It depends on the look you want.  I personally use 220. I like the cleaner, refined look.

I use 80/90 grit for glass. The extra fine grits (like 220) don't cut as quickly, so they take longer to get much depth. If you just frost the glass with a quick blast with 220,then it will practically disappear under condensation or from damp/oily fingerprints, and it is very tough to get Rub n' Buff to stick well.

If you blast longer, or use a coarser grit, these problems will minimize.

I guess it all depends on the look you're going for...

• Like 1

I would like to get more depth. I will probably need sandblast resist for mask instead of vinyl to get that.

Jay I mostly use paint mask with 180 AO and get plenty of depth with that. Here is a dragon that I did with 1/4" glass and edge lit with green leds

post-6565-0-34462100-1395256899_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Jay I  plenty of mostly use paint mask with 180 AO and get plenty of depth with that. Here is a dragon that I did with 1/4" glass and edge lit with green leds

How did you get the deeper outlines? Did you leave the masking on the wings and shoot the outlines then remove the rest of the masking?

Yes Jay that ij just how I did it. You can't see it as well but the tail is the same way. I am working on an eagle now,just need to see how it comes out

Bob

That looks fantastic Bob. I have my LED's on order and can't wait to get them.

Jay

Dog gone Bob, you did it again!  That is some super work right there!

Cal

• Like 1