DNA_Vinyl

Question on editing...

The only problem I see with seperating it out in your design program is you don't have any overlap.

If you let the cutting program do the tiling you can set it up to do as much over lap is you want.  

You can indeed add overlap in the design program. I didn't add any to the demo file I cut in half but, could have easily done so.

The only problem I see with seperating it out in your design program is you don't have any overlap.

If you let the cutting program do the tiling you can set it up to do as much over lap is you want.  

Krow break it down. You seem to be a little faster than me.

You can indeed add overlap in the design program. I didn't add any to the demo file I cut in half but, could have easily done so.

That was a little too fast.......

Give me a few (got a paying project under way) .. I'll create a new file with overlap and a custom cut line.

Skarekrow is indeed on a roll today. All along I thought I was doing it wrong so it's good to hear from you guys that we're all on the same track.

Oh I have InkScape. Ill have to check that out.

But im going to check out the way JayBird mentioned first.

Okay Louis... I made it full (?) size but it was bogging down this computer. Scaled it back to 12 inches.

This particular graphic, without the 'white' doesn't show off the custom cut line as well as a 2 color image would, but you can see the effect of the individual peices being cut where they are most beneficial . The overlap is easily adjusted to whatever suits simply editing the nodes.

post-43059-0-97572100-1395163405_thumb.p

Grizzly_95d.eps

Grizzly_95d.svg

Notice that the orange of the middle piece extends up above the plane of the top piece... this is customized to take advantage of no seam in that left brow line. Same thing with the red (bottom) piece and the way it goes around the nose. No seam on the nose.

• Like 1

As for How to do it... In Inkscape, Duplicate your image for as many pieces as you need. Color them differently so you can tell them apart.

Create a shape (different color) and place over your first piece. Object to path it. Adjust the nodes to where you want your cut lines.

Select both the new shape and one of your dupes of the whole and (with this example) Path>Intersection. Thats your first piece of the puzzle.

Leave that shape where it is and create another new shape. Object to Path it and node edit to overlap (this is where you either overlap or not) the edges of the first created shape.

You can delete he first created shape when done with the cut line node edit. Again selecting the shape and a different colored whole duplicate you made,

Path>Intersection.. This is you second piece of the puzzle.

Rinse & Repeat to desired consistancy.

Save as...

Looking back over it, if I were actually needing this file to cut, I might opt to slice it

vertically, depending upon where it was being installed, of course. The seams would hide better.

• Like 1

You are certainly welcome.

Whether out of bordom or just as an excercise, I created a new file at full size (30 inches)

with vertical custom seams and around an eighth of an inch were the pieces overlap.

I spent 19 minutes on it. This can be laid over 90 degrees and cut in a 15 inch plotter.

The seams will hide way better than the tiled seams the cutting software would leave you with.

May not be an important factor on every job but, hang that shiny vinyl in a slick surface where there's

plenty of light and those leanear seams would definately catch your eye.

I know none of these files  I've posted are of much help to DNA in this particular case,

Mostly in response to Louis' questions as to how. If I were in your shoes facing this job,

I would carefully measure where I put the 2 (?) seams needed to get it through your plotter

and cut the remainder after the app tape is installed.

At any rate, here is that file.

post-43059-0-94147400-1395172450_thumb.p

Grizzly_95f.eps

Grizzly_95f.svg

• Like 1

In SCALP, you can click the node edit button, hold shift down and click on the nodes in a line that you want to separate on, the go to path and click "split path".

• Like 1

Skarekrow...you're the best!!

My next customer wants a Bears head on the front of his tool box, 3'w 3.5'h. This is why I needed to know how to cut an object in sections without distorting it. I have to cut this thing into at least 6 different sizes. My cutter only goes up to 14".

Thank you all so very much for helping out.

post-72594-0-06727700-1395274421_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have another problem.    :|

The Bears head is multiple layers. The way you showed me only seems to work with 1 layer at a time.

I NEED to section off the entire thing. not just that silhouette.  See what you can do.

Please and thank you! 

chicago-bears.svg