threezzz

glass etching....

just looking for some feedback from others.... thinking of starting some glass etching on beer mugs/drinking glasses ect... has anyone used the etching cream - Armour Etch..??.. i dont know if i want to drop a few hundred bucks into the sand blasting operation just yet...

what to use for stencils..??.. can i just use my vinyl cutter and use the vinyl for the stencil..??.. does this work for sandblasting also..??.. didnt know if it would blast the vinyl also..?... i do have a vinyl cutter... seems kinda like a long process of cutting a vinyl piece for large orders ect..

i know the blasting will get a better product.... i have heard the etching cream works well too but never tried it...

as always, i appreciate everyone in the group that takes time to respond... :)

The etching cream works but you will not get that nice gritty look like you would with blasting. You can use your vinyl for stencil. Also look at the air eraser if you want to start cheap. I do not etch yet but this has been talked about many times on here

• Like 1

I picked up a Harbor Freight Air Eraser a few weeks ago. They sell for under $30 at the store. Does the job for small work such as drinking glasses/small mirrors, etc.. For larger jobs, of course you want a sand blaster and cabinet. I was skeptical with the air eraser at first, but it truly does the job, quite well too! 

• Like 1

You can look at the pics I have posted and they were all done with the air eraser. The gentleman I bought my vinyl cutter from was using the armor etch and he said he found you need to leave it on longer than they suggest. I use the aluminum oxide 220 grit media and vinyl for the stencil. Hope this helps.

Butch

• Like 2

Etching cream will work, but it is not even close to as nice looking and definitely does not wear as well, Especially on glassware. Even a cheap handheld non recoverable blaster will do a better job on your glassware. Plus you don't have to use Special stencil vinyl that cost a fortune. You can use any calendared vinyl you have laying around . It holds up great to blasting. I personally use Walnut shells now instead of all the oxides. You have to replace it more often but the Dust isn't a carcinogen as far as I know. Plus it vacs out really nicely with a shop vac.

Later

Woody

• Like 2