Sign in to follow this  
esikes86

Need help for first time cut on SC 24in

Hello!

I have the 24 inch sc cutter, set up everything and having a hard time getting the graphic from the software (sure cuts a lot), to the cutter. When I attempt to send it to the cutter, the vinyl in the cutter seems to bunch up under the knife blade while trying to cut, and I have to stop the cutting process. Can someone help me to figure out what I am doing wrong?

Also, what is the best program (free or cheap) to get started in making some logo designs? 

Thank you for any help!

It sounds like knife depth is wrong? maybe? Did you do all the steps for setting up blade depth and all that?

I use Inkscape for drawing and SignCut for the cutting program on my SC.

Maybe one of the real sharp ones that are on here will chime in with a better answer for you

Butch

Thank you for the reply! I have played a little with Inkscape, seems to be fairly simple to get the hang of. I have been messing with the blade depth but when I do the "test cut" it works fine, and then when I do an actual print from the computer to machine it messes up and seems to get all hung up.

I have the same machine you do and to me it sounds like maybe to much blade exposed.  You say the test cut is fine.....

if you take the blade holder out of the machine you should barely see any blade coming out of the holder.  I know you probably read somewhere that it should stick out about the depth of a credit card..... if that is the case WAY TO MUCH BLADE!  

For a real test cut (unless this is what you are talking about) with the holder out of the machine, manually cut a test piece of vinyl.  Put a little pressure on it when doing it.  Just a simple straight line will do.  Did the blade cut all the way thru the vinyl AND the backing?  If so, to much blade.  It should only cut the vinyl with a slight indention in the backing paper.

If that is what you have then we can move on to something different.

Too much pressure maybe?

• Like 1

+1 on too much balde and make sure the pressure rollers are over the grit rollers - many machines have a center part where the pressure roller is not over the grit rollers

I have a different opinion on this, actually.

The SC cutter has a design/manufacturing flaw with the far-right pinch roller (pressure roller).

The set-screw is placed incorrectly (on the rail) and that allows the pinch-roller assembly to slide too far over, and it reaches a point that is BEYOND the bottom grit roller.

I've covered this (with pictures) in other threads.

http://forum.uscutter.com/index.php?/topic/41547-need-help-with-newly-bought-sc-series/?p=323057

• Like 1

Sometimes if you start too close to the end of the roll it'll bunch up like that. Try setting the origin an inch or so down the roll and repeat. 

Slice my gas pedal goes too far down thereby causing a speeding ticket. You think the judge will by that or tell me I should be more aware of the function of my machine. :)

Thank You Guys for the help! I got so discourgaged with in the other day that I actually walked away from it. However, after much research I am giving this machine another shot! I have been working with this blade and I'm hoping that this is the main issue. I will give an update shortly!

One question, I know that there is the 3 rollers, where exactly are those supposed to be lined up at?

I have the same machine you do and to me it sounds like maybe to much blade exposed.  You say the test cut is fine.....

if you take the blade holder out of the machine you should barely see any blade coming out of the holder.  I know you probably read somewhere that it should stick out about the depth of a credit card..... if that is the case WAY TO MUCH BLADE!  

For a real test cut (unless this is what you are talking about) with the holder out of the machine, manually cut a test piece of vinyl.  Put a little pressure on it when doing it.  Just a simple straight line will do.  Did the blade cut all the way thru the vinyl AND the backing?  If so, to much blade.  It should only cut the vinyl with a slight indention in the backing paper.

If that is what you have then we can move on to something different.

Too much pressure maybe?

When you say pressure, what should it be??

I run my pressure at 49g.  I don't know how that compares to others that have the same machine but that is where I am at.  That is what I use for Oracal 651 and HTV.  I do up it as needed for other things.  For example, for my rhinestone material I am up at 400g.  I also have some thicker sparkly vinyl that requires 200g.

I run my pressure at 49g.  I don't know how that compares to others that have the same machine but that is where I am at.  That is what I use for Oracal 651 and HTV.  I do up it as needed for other things.  For example, for my rhinestone material I am up at 400g.  I also have some thicker sparkly vinyl that requires 200g.

What Blade 45* or 60*? And what speed? Offset?   That is with the 651 oracal. Thanks

Butch