Sign in to follow this  
TerribleTim68

MH1351 Cutter Issue

I have an MH1351. Suddenly it seems to not be cutting the vinyl all the way through. What gives? I haven't changed any settings and I'm using the same thickness vinyl I have been using.

Also, I can't find any information regarding how to install a new cutter blade. Any help with these two issues?

To start with, you should set your blade depth correctly, by taking the blade holder out of the machine, and firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl, you will be cutting. You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing, Adjust blade to get there, Then put the blade holder back in machine, and use the force of the machine to get there, same results, only cutting the vinyl and barely a mark in wax paper backing.

Also check your cutting strip for gouges, scrapes in it,  If you have damage, replace your cutting strip.

blade just pops out as it is held in with a magnet - I believe the mh has a plunger on top to push the blade part way our where you can grab it carefully - then install a new blade and set it as skeeter said.

gets it to cut thru the vinyl - many many moons ago Jerry from signblazer said use little blade and more force on a value cutter and it help up pretty well over time - until you add a cleancut blade to the equation - then you have to use less force.    90 percent of the newbies use too much blade because there is way too many videos and instructions that say use 1/2 a credit card depth - which is about 10 times too much blade.

• Like 2

gets it to cut thru the vinyl - many many moons ago Jerry from signblazer said use little blade and more force on a value cutter and it help up pretty well over time - until you add a cleancut blade to the equation - then you have to use less force.    90 percent of the newbies use too much blade because there is way too many videos and instructions that say use 1/2 a credit card depth - which is about 10 times too much blade.

Been there, done that..... the whole credit card thing is a bunch of crap.  That info alone messed me up from jump street.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info guys. I find it difficult to set the cutter blade depth because I can't adjust my own hand force. So this "credit card" idea sounds good on the surface, but if you're saying "That's way too much" then that doesn't really help either. Do you recommend a way to set the blade depth that does work?

Also, what do you recommend as a default force setting?

I cut a few things without any problems with the blade set the way it was when I got the cutter (used deal). The force setting was defaulted to 100 and I assumed that was fine so I never changed it. Then suddenly I started having issues with it not cutting all the way through the vinyl. I don't really know what changed, but suddenly it's not happy any more.

Also, one other issue I've had from time to time - I have a roll of vinyl (bargain stuff a friend gave me) that is 18" wide. Typically I'm running Oracal 24" wide stuff through this cutter. When I switch to the 18" wide stuff I have to move one of the "rollers" (or what ever they are called) over a bit. On occasion, after doing this, if I hit "reset" to make sure it's feeding correctly it will act like only the one roller that I didn't move is feeding the vinyl through and it tends to basically "turn" the vinyl instead of push it forward. If I release the tension on the rollers (using the little arms on them, flip it up), then reset the tension (flip the arm back down), then hit "reset", it works fine. I don't think it's an issue of not enough pressure on the rollers because I can see a mark in my vinyl after cutting where those rollers have "rolled" it through. Any thoughts on that issue? When I don't check it, I've had it jam up while cutting and the cutter head poke big holes in it. It's kind of sad.

I gave you good instructions above on how to set your blade depth,  You cannot possibly cut past the end of the blade holder.  You should just barely be able to feel and see the blade tip. Using you hand firmly cut across a piece of scrap vinyl that you will be cutting.  Most vinyl is only 2.5mm -3mm, that is all you need.  It does not take much blade to cut vinyl.You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing.  Once you get the blade set you use the force of your machine, You should only be cutting the vinyl and barely a mark on wax paper backing..

Thanks everybody for your help. With the info provided I was able to set the cutter in the holder to a depth that cut the vinyl while only leaving a small mark on the backing paper, then put it back in the machine and get the correct results. I left the force setting at the 100 it was set at previously and it appears to be working with only having adjusted the blade depth in the holder.

Again, many thanks!

• Like 1

We just need to somehow eradicate those instructions and videos that show new people to set it with way too much blade out . . . We get this several times a day because of that. Glad you got it worked out!

• Like 1