Sign in to follow this  
DNA_Vinyl

631 Transfer tape

What's a good transfer tape to use for interior 631 vinyl? I don't remember what I have but is sure is tacky. Had a hard time getting the vinyl off.

I got an email a while back from SignWarehouse, saying you don't need HT55 transfer tape. Said their medium tack house brand, is all ya need.

Not to bash other brands, but even if they do release well from the vinyl, they don't stay attached to the backing very well...not suitable for presenting to customers, in my opinion.

Oracal HT55 is made by them to use with their product and after doing a couple small jobs I have to say it works great. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 2

Is this HT55 really going to make a difference?

The past 2 jobs have been a crazy pain in the ass.

Ive been install 631 on semi-textured walls. Granted ive been using the normal transfer tape but the 631 doesnt seem to want to stick all. We wipe the wall down and everything. The same paint i have a my house and it sticks.

its the install that is horrible.

Any tips or am i doing something wrong?

Because the HT55 is less agressive it takes less effort to get it off the vinyl which in turn makes it more likely the vinyl will stay on the wall. Right tool for the job.

• Like 1

Textured walls are tough any way you go about it but I finally broke down and bought some of the HT55 and it did seem to be better to work with for the matte finish. I tried it on some regular 631 and it didn't work as well as the regular R-tape I use so I will keep it at the back of the stack more for specific use. 

Textured walls are tough any way you go about it but I finally broke down and bought some of the HT55 and it did seem to be better to work with for the matte finish. I tried it on some regular 631 and it didn't work as well as the regular R-tape I use so I will keep it at the back of the stack more for specific use. 

R-tape?

R-tape?

http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-ApliTape-4075-High-Tack-General-Purpose-Application-Tape-100yd

http://www.uscutter.com/RTape-Conform-Series-4076-RLA-High-Tack-Application-Tape-with-RLA-100yd

The stuff with RLA (release layer adhesive is what I think it stands for) does a better job staying down on the corners when you are shipping or transporting your prepared vinyl. I use both with good success. 

Is this HT55 really going to make a difference? The past 2 jobs have been a crazy pain in the ass. Ive been install 631 on semi-textured walls. Granted ive been using the normal transfer tape but the 631 doesnt seem to want to stick all. We wipe the wall down and everything. The same paint i have a my house and it sticks. its the install that is horrible. Any tips or am i doing something wrong?

Have you tried using a tennis ball to push the vinyl into the little nooks and crannies?  Works well for me.

• Like 1

Have you tried using a tennis ball to push the vinyl into the little nooks and crannies?  Works well for me.

Nooo but that does sound like it mike help out.

I will tak BCOJdecals suggestion one step further. I use a tennis ball on a lot of installs. But on larger decals it can take forever. Go to your local pet store and buy a Giant tennis ball. One made to play catch with your Doberman. They are 7 or 8" in Diameter. same material as a tennis ball and work great. Cover more area with less time.

Oh and HT55 Is worth the money. But some walls have to be degreased for the 631 to stick properly. Especially oil based paints or Latex painted over oils. I use a diluted solution of simple green occasionally, but you must let it dry completlely before trying the install.

Later

Woody

• Like 1