carwash

Chrome Vinyl...

I needed some chrome vinyl for a job, and my searching rendered everyone apparently preferring a different brand and style.   I went ahead and purchased Oracal 352-901.  It arrived today, directly from Oracal as US Cutter didn't have it in stock.  It's a 2 mil, and the peeps at oracal told me it was the closest to the 651 that I can get in a vinyl..  I will let you guys know how well it cuts, weeds, and adheres after I try it out.

photo1_zps84bb56cb.jpg

photo2_zpsbec971ec.jpg

• Like 1

I've used it and it's ok to work with. It tears really easy and no give to it like 651. More like a mylar than vinyl.

• Like 1

I bought the Creative Films, from USCUTTER. It is shiny and after the correction of the bad roll it is a nice vinyl. Think I will look at the oracal for next time

I needed some chrome vinyl for a job, and my searching rendered everyone apparently preferring a different brand and style.   I went ahead and purchased Oracal 352-901.  It arrived today, directly from Oracal as US Cutter didn't have it in stock.  It's a 2 mil, and the peeps at oracal told me it was the closest to the 651 that I can get in a vinyl..  I will let you guys know how well it cuts, weeds, and adheres after I try it out.

photo1_zps84bb56cb.jpg

photo2_zpsbec971ec.jpg

I have it here and like it for the most part.

Ok, i just did my first job with it, and it's decent to work with, but not as forgiving as 651.  Does tear easy, etc... and I could definitely have increased my cut pressure for it, but it cut fine with the current 651 settings.  Also, the backing is slick... paper transfer tape has a hard time even sticking to it...

I'd say you jumped in in a big way with a full 50yd roll. Maybe they only sell 50 at a time directly? 

It will eat blades also - any metallic or reflective will - that is why I have a second holder and blade just for those materials

I only buy 50 yard rolls... it makes monetary sense...

It does if you use it up. If you don't it gets old and stale. Vinyl has a shelf life. 

What would you say is the shelf life? How fresh from the factory do we assume our vinyl is?

Who knows with the factory and that's always my worry that I am already getting an old roll! I think it's a year or two shelf life. Probably better if you keep them in the plastic bag sleeves. I have some stuff that is three years and still seems to work but I have been able to tell the difference when I used up a roll I had for a while and opened the new stuff I had just gotten. Cut easier and weeded better (the new). I have never thrown any out but I bet the stuff that you see on discount sale or to ebay is getting up there. 

I've got a roll or two I've been using for three years without issue. But my stuff is always kept cool and non humid.

I didn't mean to make you panic and I doubt it's going to all of a sudden start falling off peoples cars but I limit the size of most of what I buy to what I need so I keep things rotated best as I can. Price is a little more per foot but I also don't have to outlay quite as much at any given time and I price my jobs accordingly to cover it. White and Black are always safe as I'm sure you have found same as I have. Most used by far. The reds and blues are heavy users too but often different shades so I don't pre-order. 

I order 10 yds. of most colors but the reason is the shear number of colors I stock makes 50 yds. cost prohibitive. As for age I've only had 1 roll ever age out and I bought it on clearance from my supplier and it wouldn't even stick to a banner. I have a few odd colors over 3 years old with no marked degradation and I believe 2 years shelf is listed on Oracal's site and you know they are covering their butts so I always assume at least 3-4 years.

• Like 2

How large are their free samples?  Also, since i was making money on the job, I hate to take something for free.... The whole roll of 50 yards was only 220 shipped, not too hateful.

The samples are 8"x10". Creat an account on oracal.com > login > go to promotinoal catalog > plotter film cut samples

I just ordered a sample of 351 to compare it to the Creative Films chrome that I've been using.