Sign in to follow this  
PKA

Hix heat press

I just got an old non-digital HT-400 shirt press and a VH-250 hat press.

I was just looking for some thoughts on these machines(quality, value). They seem very well built and come up to temp rather quickly. But that being said, it's the first heat press I've actually seen.

Thanks for your input.

I recently got a very old HT-400 as a trade for some shirts I did. I used it a little to get the feel of it and was happy with the results. Mine is a little worn and the handle wants to pop open if you don't stay there with a very little hand pressure on the handle. Other than that issue it works great and did a great job. I plan on keeping it as a spare in case my Chinese swing away takes a crap on me in the middle of a job. Hix is one of the top names in the industry. I don't like the noisy manual timer much but the ability to "thread" a shirt on is handy. 

I have that model and at 20+ years old, still going strong.

I recently got a very old HT-400 as a trade for some shirts I did. I used it a little to get the feel of it and was happy with the results. Mine is a little worn and the handle wants to pop open if you don't stay there with a very little hand pressure on the handle. Other than that issue it works great and did a great job. I plan on keeping it as a spare in case my Chinese swing away takes a crap on me in the middle of a job. Hix is one of the top names in the industry. I don't like the noisy manual timer much but the ability to "thread" a shirt on is handy. 

Wildgoose, you should be able to buy the replacement parts for that, it's the 2 bars and new round stock and the pal nuts as a kit.

Then I made a set out of aluminum and used bolts instead of the round stock.

Wildgoose, you should be able to buy the replacement parts for that, it's the 2 bars and new round stock and the pal nuts as a kit.

Then I made a set out of aluminum and used bolts instead of the round stock.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a slightly upsized roundstock and drill the whole thing out. I am afraid the handle part is as worn as the two flatbars. Not sure if there are any options like that out there. For now I just unhooked the springs and am setting it aside as a back-up that cost me all of about $8 in HTV :) It works you just can't walk away. I definitely prefer the swing away for what I do. I don't like being under the platen all the time. If I ever decided to go do a booth somewhere I might take that press along rather than the swing away because it's lighter.