Sign in to follow this  
CalSign

FlexiSign with a Mac

I have been using FlexiSign on a Mac since FlexiSign was introduced. Back when it was ONLY available for a Mac in the early 1990's before they entered the windows world. I still run a Roland pnc1100 plotter and have had no issues. I recently bought a UScutter MH1351 50" cutter. The price was what got me. I am running FlexiSign-Pro 6.6 in "classic" mode on a newer Mac. After receiving the plotter I played hell getting my computer to communicate with it. I'm not new at this so it was especially frustrating.  When I hooked up the plotter to my computer through the supplied USB cable and installed the recommended serial/usb driver I got NOTHING. I was told to put my plotter setting to Roland pnc1000 and it should work. I downloaded the newest version of the Mac driver from this site and once again...nothing. I replaced the usb cable thinking the one shipped was bad and still...nothing. I went and bought a serial/usb cable from a company called Iogear, plugged it in, started the computer and got...nothing. I called the tech support at Iogear 4 times and found their phone support was worthless. I took the cable back to the store and bought a Keyspan serial/usb cable #USA-19HS. I called Keyspan before installing their software since I didn't know what version to install. OSX or system 9. My Mac runs OSX 10.4 but flexi runs in "Classic" system9 mode. The guy with Keyspan told me to install the system9 driver since flexi is running in "Classic" mode. He also knew quite a bit about Macs and said he knew why everything else I had tried didn't work. If you install a OSX driver, you see it under System Preferences> Network just fine. I had. The problem is that it never came up in my program as an option in Flexi. An OSX driver for a  product running in "Classic" is worthless. I installed Keyspan's System9 software and plugged in the plotter. When I went to send an image to the cutter, I instantly found a new option where I get to choose a plotter. "PNC-1000@1USA19HS". I prayed a quick prayer and hit send. Instantly the plotter started drawing the image! All I can say is KEYSPAN RULES! The product works as said and the tech support is Awesome! I hope this helps others out there. Take Care and God Bless- Steve

I think they need to put in the description that mac users should get the keyspan adapter.It sounds like it sloves the communication problem.

Yea, we only just recently found out ourselves. Spread the word......Keyspan is awesome!

Guest garysigndesign

To CalSign,  I have just read your post and was inquiring as to the overall functionality of your current plotter & software set up and if you would detail your recipe for smooth vinyl cutting and the Refine plotter. I thank you as I am sure all fellow Refine plototeers using a Macintosh Computer will finally be  able to take control of their plotting destines. Also if you would email me  a contact phone number so I might speak with you personally. Thank again.  my email:::  > garysigndesign@yahoo.com< ::: Gary Karm out...... of/ {garysigndesign}

Found this forum online and need pointers here. Here's my situation: I work with FlexiSign 5.6 and cut my work with a Roland PNC-1100 cutter, which is still running extremely well despite it's age! My old powermac 8600 had issues, so I got myself a KeySpan USA-28X adaptor and a Griffin iMate, for me to use the dongle key which came with FlexiSign for OS 8-9. Everything is working well on a powermac G4 model as both OS 9.2.2 and OS X 10.4.11 are installed. However, I have issues with the connection with the KeySpan USA-28X adaptor under 10.4.11 and the Classic mode! I think I didn't set things right and I need help. The second port of the USA-28X adaptor is used for a Brother P-Touch PT-PC laminated tape printer, and that works well under both OS 9 and OSX. Any help will be appreciated, thanks for taking time to read this entry.