QualeT Graphics

WWII Aircraft Markings

Hello Friends.....

I need help with some issues that I am having. I am trying to make the attached image for one of my model airplanes with specific dimensions. I need it to be 11 1/4"L x 5 1/2" W and the left and right ends being 2 1/4".

The issue that I am having is that I can't get these dimensions to work. Any idea how to possibly redraw this? I trace image and it does no good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Shane

post-16944-0-99683900-1394410166_thumb.j

Technically, it's not possible to fit those dimensions without altering either the length or height outside of spec. Using a 2.5 inch base circle, the total height of the insignia would be 5.625. Slightly larger than your requirement. Using that same radius, the length would be 10.625.  You could scale the height to fit your dimension in any program but you will have to stretch the length at least 5/8 of an inch. 

To be properly proportioned the length of the bars have to be equal to the radius of the base circle with a height of 1/2 the radius of the base circle. The outer border is 1\8th the radius of the base circle. All dimensions are derived from the base circle's radius. 

This should help. 

Usaf_roundel.gif

QUOTE> "Technically, it's not possible to fit those dimensions without altering either the length or height outside of spec."

Exactly what I did. I lengthened the horizonal bars to give the OP what the wanted.

• Like 1

FWIW, altering a national insignia is akin to altering a country's flag. Generally considered unacceptable. There are people out there that would take offense to it. 

I applaud your willingness to help him out. I just thought I'd point out there was a reason he could not make the properly scaled file fit his dimensions. 

• Like 1

I couldn't count how many variations I've seen on the American Flag...

Most, if not all of them, there was no dishonor intended. Same holds true for my alteration

of the insignia and I imagine the OP meant no harm either.

post-43059-0-34375700-1394648746_thumb.p

Ps... There are people out there that will take offense to anything.

• Like 1

It was not my intent to indicate that either of you intended any dishonor. Nothing wrong with passing on a little info. That is why we're here right? Maybe Shane would like to understand why.

Darcshawdow's link has an example at the bottom of that page that is a good example of a time when it should be done right. I'm sure the artist that painted the mural intended no disrespect. He merely did not have to right information.

In hindsight I should have worded that last post a little differently so as not to seem like I was being a condescending prick. If that's how you interpreted it, my apologies. 

I think Sluggo was just trying to give a lesson in scale. I get similar questions all the time about making something fit that just won't to the dimensions that are asked for. The original poster asked why he couldn't get it to work and sluggo answered it.

Hmm u cant alter a flag??

I guess having it on a shirt in a different form is illegal? But i see millions of flag shirts..

i also see millions of variations on vehicles...

Also i am sure the flag gets altered a bit in scalability to go from large 10' flags to 5' flags to 3' flags to 6" flags, etc.

I don't recall anyone saying it was illegal. You're right, variations of the flag are everywhere you look. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion as long as it's respectful.  

If a vector is properly drawn in the first place it should retain the scale ratio no matter what you scale it to. Sure there's a point where a thin outline might be too small to see or to cut but 2:1 is 2:1 no matter how you split it.

To maintain the aspect ratio you desire the end results would be not exactly as the results you request.