I have a possible job and wanted to get some input on pricing. 

Box truck, 2 sides

Surface area to vinyl is 6'x11'. 

GS vinyl (per customer request ..."the least expensive you have". She knows about 3y rating, and is in the process of trying out a new company name, etc)

So, it could turn another job changing it later, which makes me think to price her on the lower end? Using the spreadsheet calculator (including time, layout, driving, materials, weed/mask, etc) I am coming up with about $220 per side?  Does this sound low?

post-29312-0-66258600-1394311199_thumb.j

Are there rivets or seams?

If so that 3 yr rating is even less.   You'll need a cast vinyl to get it to hold to those.  

I think your price is super low.  

Without seeing the design. I'm sure there is some tiling involved. = time

I'd be at $700-800 with good cast vinyl.  

Sorry, i was editing as you were posting I think!  I attached the layout, and no rivets.  I think I can do it all without tiling.  The gray area around the edge is where the rivets are (its an old uhaul truck).

Yep the uhauls have mostly smooth sides. I would not even price with greenstar I would use at least oracal 651 for a short term signage you dont want curling and peeling even on a low cost job. I would be around $ 300.00 to $350 per side the truck delivered to my shop.

• Like 3

I have a possible job and wanted to get some input on pricing. 

Box truck, 2 sides

Surface area to vinyl is 6'x11'. 

GS vinyl (per customer request ..."the least expensive you have". She knows about 3y rating, and is in the process of trying out a new company name, etc)

So, it could turn another job changing it later, which makes me think to price her on the lower end? Using the spreadsheet calculator (including time, layout, driving, materials, weed/mask, etc) I am coming up with about $220 per side?  Does this sound low?

Also, I don't understand why you'd want to price her on the lower end.  She already wants you to do it the first time why wouldn't she want you to do it the second time. By charging her on the low end the first time you're setting yourself up to have to drop another low price on her the second time.  PLUS she's going to tell all her friends how cheap you are and you're going to have to give them a low ball price also. 

"Charge what you're worth" NOT what you think you customer's think you're worth. 

Just my 2 cents!

• Like 4

My thinking is $600 installed at my store with 651. Won't install or sell greenstar after trying it out and having a couple or repairs that shouldn't have happened,

• Like 1

She said she would be happy with a year out of her install...which does not make a lot of sense to me.  I am about out of my GS stock anyway, so would have to order more.  It makes better sense to just use the 651 :) 

I have used calendared on box trucks in the past. One I did about 4 years ago still looks good. You will have no problem with rivets and calendared vinyl, just poke a few holes and heat them up to get them to conform. 

I would be at about $1200 for that job. 

• Like 1

She said she would be happy with a year out of her install...which does not make a lot of sense to me.  I am about out of my GS stock anyway, so would have to order more.  It makes better sense to just use the 651 :) 

The problem with penny pinchers and I am very frugal myself but only to a point that makes sense. A couple years down the road if the vinyl is cracking or peeling the blame would be laid on you. Vinyl for the most part is like house painting the outcome depends on proper prep and quality materials with the labor to do it right being the biggest factor in the price.

I have 651 on box the box off my old flea market van that I applied when starting out and it's close to 6 years old and still looks respectable. I went over the rivets with heat and poked a hole for the air to egress like Bayshore said but they still tented up after a year or so.

I have 651 on box the box off my old flea market van that I applied when starting out and it's close to 6 years old and still looks respectable. I went over the rivets with heat and poked a hole for the air to egress like Bayshore said but they still tented up after a year or so.

The newer uhaul box trucks have smooth skins on the bed probably where they started doing graphics on every truck with graphics from every state.

The newer uhaul box trucks have smooth skins on the bed probably where they started doing graphics on every truck with graphics from every state.

I've seen them and they look easy to work with. My rivet answer response a was to Bayshore's comment about rivets and calendered vinyl. Wish mine had been like that instead of rivets every couple feet. Rivets =  :(  

I think your super low on that.  I think that you are forgetting your worth.  Remember no one is free.  When you boil it down is it worth design time and install time to make a couple hundred bucks when you could be spending your time doing something else?  Make it worth the time you spend on it

What happens two years down the road if she's really pleased with the design? Gonna have to come back and do it all over again for not all that much more money? The cost isn't in the vinyl.........

I'd say about $750 for just the vinyl, then add design time, labor, & travel expenses. I would also recommend using Oracal 651.