gcextreme

Blade Depth or Pressure Issue?

Ok so i have been cutting stuff fine for the past few days. I just got in some 8" rolls of Oracal. For some reason when trying to remove it from the paper, with the app tape, some of the wax paper wants to stay on the letters, and it's hit and miss, some letters will come right off the paper and stay on the app tape, others wont...

Is this a blade depth issue or a force issue??

could be either, could be both, in any case your cutting slightly too deep.

back off you pressure and that will probably fix it.

Its just off, cuz i went from cutting 24" wide stuff, cutting just fine...to cutting this 8" wide material and it just sucks...

I've got a couple rolls like that, almost like the vinyl is thinner. I backed off the pressure and all was good. It did get me in the habit of doing a test cut every time a change out a roll.

Yeah i always do a test cut...but like i said, its hit and miss, some letters came out fine, others didnt, they just stuck to the paper and wanted to tear off with it.

Now i did it again, and its all coming off too dam easily! The letters wont stay, as i am weeding the little dot out of an O the whole O comes right off and moves around on the paper!

I've got a couple rolls like that, almost like the vinyl is thinner. I backed off the pressure and all was good. It did get me in the habit of doing a test cut every time a change out a roll.

I would agree most likely the vinyl is sub par. If GCEXTREME were to mic it I would bet it's out of spec. 

I agree that the overall problem is cutting too deep and cutting into the carrier but it could just be a newer batch that is a little more flexible and soft which would cause it to cut a tad easier. 

I would agree most likely the vinyl is sub par. If GCEXTREME were to mic it I would bet it's out of spec. 

What does "mic it" mean?

Micrometer a device use to measure - Oracal is usually 2 mil most likely if you were to measure it it would not be. Your roll probably had an issue during manufacture it may have thick / thin spots. It has to do with how Calendered vinyl is manufactured. I use greenstar and see this issue every once in the while.

I have had this issue with 651, sometimes only on certain small areas of the roll.  sometimes worse with a particular color, just depends.

First each color can vary slightly in thickness even in the same series (651) but if your cutting paper your blade is too deep for that vinyl. I have it happen on occasion and it almost never shows in the little test cut but when you go to weed you'll pull your hair out.