kracker055

larger order of small decals

so got a question...im still new to pricing thing so. but ive got a guy wanting some decals made up simple stuff to weed, messurements are going to be 6.5 long by 2.5 tall..what would you all charge..hes wanting 150pcs

I use a 651 calculator and it is showing to charge about 500 bucks for it. That includes labor and mask and all. If you want the job just do 1.00 each and you will still be profitable. I would recommend you buy a larger roll

"I use a 651 calculator and it is showing to charge about 500 bucks for it."

where does a calculator like this exist?

Hmm  order is for 2437.5 sq" a 12 x 10yd roll is 4320sq"   Now UsCutter doesn't sell 12x10yd so lets use 15x10yd 5400sq"  13.99 + 9.00 shipping  tax??  23.99 for the roll or .0044per sq"  so the whole job will cost you $10.73 so $150 would be a tidy profit. Even if I didnt figure app tape in.

Hmm  order is for 2437.5 sq" a 12 x 10yd roll is 4320sq"   Now UsCutter doesn't sell 12x10yd so lets use 15x10yd 5400sq"  13.99 + 9.00 shipping  tax??  23.99 for the roll or .0044per sq"  so the whole job will cost you $10.73 so $150 would be a tidy profit. Even if I didnt figure app tape in.

how much time and hourly rate did you calculate at??

how much time and hourly rate did you calculate at??

i just figured up the vinyl cost....150 at that size should only bout 2-3 hours to do  so lets say you use 20 worth of materials, and pocket 130 for 3 hrs work thats $43 an hour labor.

And here's where our prices diverge. I like to work in a climate controlled space with lights (electric usage) and I plan to replace my cutter when it wears out (long term profitability) and I've learned that if you figure 3 hours it'll really take 4 1/2 hours (always add 50% because most times you'll end up needing it). YOu won't go broke at that price but true profit is not as much as your listing.

I operate from home,  I could live on $800 a month all my bills would be covered, $1000 a month I could sock some back for a Vacation and a equipment replacement fund. I would imagine (especially in my area) that any more than $1 for a decal that small that they would walk away. I have only been at this for 3 months so I am constantly tweaking and learning. I don't have a shop or a ton of overhead, I run from a home office, doing mostly online sales.  Did you happen to see my question to you about selling on CL?

• Like 1

With that measurement the decals must be stacked right on top of each other. No space for weeding? If youve ever done a large order of smaller decals and didnt leave room to work, your likely to have no hair when your finished with the order. I leave a least a 1/3 of an inch around each decal. Do I waste some vinyl? Sometimes. Is the dollar that I wasted worth the $200 I made? Hell yeah. 

• Like 2

I operate from home,  I could live on $800 a month all my bills would be covered, $1000 a month I could sock some back for a Vacation and a equipment replacement fund. I would imagine (especially in my area) that any more than $1 for a decal that small that they would walk away. I have only been at this for 3 months so I am constantly tweaking and learning. I don't have a shop or a ton of overhead, I run from a home office, doing mostly online sales.  Did you happen to see my question to you about selling on CL?

I saw and answered you CL question and it is harder when you have to meet somewhere and is only viable for higher priced items.

I did a recent order pretty similar to the original request at $3.00/decal and they said yes without even thinking twice. Don't devalue your service and factor in your time like you mentioned. Yes, the vinyl is cheap, time is not. They can't get that kind of advertising for less than $450.00, so make sure to drive that home with them. Plus these are rated for 6 years! Does a radio ad last that long? Nope!

• Like 2

I did a recent order pretty similar to the original request at $3.00/decal and they said yes without even thinking twice. Don't devalue your service and factor in your time like you mentioned. Yes, the vinyl is cheap, time is not. They can't get that kind of advertising for less than $450.00, so make sure to drive that home with them. Plus these are rated for 6 years! Does a radio ad last that long? Nope!

well said - too many people don't figure their time and equipment replacement . . . it is more than just buying your equipment cause you have the cash right now and pay for vinyl - plan for your time and future equipment upgrades/ replacement 

• Like 2

There are a lot of us on here doing this from home. But when you undercut pricing to a point it is ridiculously low you kill it for everyone. I have dealt with this lately. Been doing vinyl signs for a company for several years, charged them a fair rate. Someone working for them cut a budget cutter and undercut me by half. I looked a the first sign they did for the company and they don't know what they are doing, They didn't weld anything so everything has cut lines across it. These opened up in no time and it looks bad. But the customer thinks everyone should cut for that price now. Also their designs are terrible, no presentation, they don't understand distance rules etc.

Even though we work from our basement or garage or whatever we should know our craft well, and charge enough to make sure we can continue to keep cutting in the future. If we low ball all we get is screwed in the end.

Just my 2 Cents

Woody

• Like 3

was this same thread at 101 today - and someone actually challenged the old dogs  - it was fun to watch. :lol:

signs101 is a forum of old timers that the base group started back in the hand painted gilded age of signs.  they are famous for not tolerating newbies well that cut into the business and in their eyes degrade the business.  personally i have a lot of respect for a lot of the old timers that have went thru apprenticeships and gotten a great education either thru the apprenticeship or actual college training along with years of experience.  it is definitely a different crowd than the self trained new cutter owners we have here.  there is a place for all people but they would be the elite of sign making (at least the base group)  after 8 years doing this I would be considered about right to start an apprenticeship under someone else . . . .
the person about the post above bought a cutter and did a bunch of freebie work to learn as they went - I think you can picture how that went over LOL

• Like 1