Sign in to follow this  
chipperi

cutting issues

The last couple decals I have cut have been giving me problems. The scrap isn't peeling away cleanly. I am lifting the letters off with it and have to keep using my finger to hold it to the backing as I peel the scrap away. If I let any more blade out it cuts through the backer, if I increase the pressure anymore it doesn't help. I am wasting so much time having to go so slow. What else can I try I have had the machine for 3 months so the blade shouldn't be dulled out yet, and the vinyl has worked fine until now. I am cutting from the same roll of Greenstar so it cant be a manufacturing deviation.  FYI 31.5" TC cutter...45deg blade, 30x10yd roll of Greenstar, 600 speed, 45g to 55g on the pressure.

Get rid of the Greenstar. vinyl  for starters. and get some good vinyl.  The Greenstar stuff I saw, was stiff and thick.  Not pliable like Oracal 651.   I have seen others write, they use it to cover their shelves,  tape boxes. Practice with,.

• Like 2

+1 on get some oracal and ditch the greenstar - + add a little to your overcut if it isn't cutting the entire line and leaving a tab.   if you have been doing any reflective or metallics like chrome you will dull a blade quick

I have to order a roll soon so I will try some 651. Just weird that it has worked not great but ok up until now. Can someone put into layman's terms what the over-cut and offset settings are?? Right now the overcut is set at 1mm and the offset is set at 35, 

Thank you much! I bookmarked it....from what I can tell I should be good, the test pattern is square and has nice sharp corners.

• Like 1

I have never cut Greenstar but own the TC... 45-55 grams pressure seem a bit high.

I cut most material @ 19g.

"the blade shouldn't be dulled out yet"

Blade tips will break when they hit that nylon cutting strip, and you've already admitted that the blade has gone through the backing paper and reached into the plastic of the strip.

Change blades and see if it helps.

I have never cut Greenstar but own the TC... 45-55 grams pressure seem a bit high.

I cut most material @ 19g.

"the blade shouldn't be dulled out yet"

Blade tips will break when they hit that nylon cutting strip, and you've already admitted that the blade has gone through the backing paper and reached into the plastic of the strip.

Change blades and see if it helps.

Hmm maybe I've been lucky so far! Tomorrow, I'll dial back the pressure, and put another 45deg blade in.

Before I changed the blade I tried backing the pressure down to 20g, and now it works tons better. I figured more pressure would equal a more complete cut.....seems the opposite is true.

• Like 2

You know as bad as I bash on the greenstar vinyl I have actually had surprising success at cutting some small stuff with it. I think it may be the fact that it is a bit stiffer than other vinyl and stays down on the carrier. I still occasionally sell a little here and there, mostly to people I know won't get pissed when it goes to crap and I give them very explicit waring that it's total junk vinyl. For instance, I used some as a test run on a 40 ton articulated dump truck as a black background for some white 651 and I used some white GS on the bottom of a wheel barrel in 10 inch stencil letters as a theft deterrent. Some day I hope to use up that starter bundle I bought when I started. LOL 

Some day I hope to use up that starter bundle I bought when I started. LOL 

Makes respectable packing tape. Sold the last bit I had to some Cricut people a while back.

• Like 1

Makes respectable packing tape. Sold the last bit I had to some Cricut people a while back.

Don't knock it to hard, I use it on temp golf tourny signs. Works great and I can give em a great discount for the cost of it too.

Don't knock it to hard, I use it on temp golf tourny signs. Works great and I can give em a great discount for the cost of it too.

actual cost per sign though is probably about a penny difference   . . . .

• Like 2

actual cost per sign though is probably about a penny difference   . . . .

True, but got all it with the cutter bundle. Once it's gone I may get more of the 12" just to have for the golf signs

It has a place and a purpose, just not here. I had to window graphics fail in less than a week and redid them in 651 and no issues since and no greenstar since but I know that now everyone has had the problems I had with it.

It has a place and a purpose, just not here. I had to window graphics fail in less than a week and redid them in 651 and no issues since and no greenstar since but I know that now everyone has had the problems I had with it.

I slapped one on a buddy's truck over a year ago (pink ribbon) told him it had issues let me know I would get it off and put a new one for him. NO issues, no cracks or shrinkage I must have got a good roll

I may have gotten a bad roll but when it comes to the store I can't take that gamble.

I may have gotten a bad roll but when it comes to the store I can't take that gamble.

Oh I agree 100% I wanted to test it. I am staying with Avery and Oracal for long term items for sure

I have never used the Greenstar, I am an Oracal Guy all the way. I will pickup some LG once in a while from a local supplier if I am in a hurry though. When I first started they were selling BGS vinyl with the cutter when you added a vinyl pack. I still have 8 out of the 12 roll sample pack. Once I cut with Oracal I never went back. I used the BGS for a little bit to make the Inevitable FreeBees for friends and family. Until I realized if it didn't last, they didn't recommend me or my work. Even with the disclaimer.

So spend your money wisely. The time difference between weeing Oracal 651 and a cheap hard thick vinyl is immense. Even the extra cost is worth you sanity.

Later

Woody

• Like 2