Sign in to follow this  
SeeJaysPlace

3d Printing

Does anyone here have a 3d Printer?

I've been thinking about getting one.. I have found one for about 2,200 local at the Mall Of America , @ the Microsoft store :)

bestblanks ran an ad today with them also - when is usc gettinng in on this?

The link is broken.

Makerbot is owned by Stratasys as of last year. They are quality machines geared toward the hobbyist. They used to sell kits so you could buid your own and save a few bucks.

I have been staring at the makerbots for the past year, and they just keep getting better and better, but i can't justify one right now... maybe later on down the road. 

I lurk/lurked on the Printrbot and SeeMeCNC forums earlier this winter salivating in fantasy; then it struck me that I have very little knowledge regarding paths, layer thickness, bridging, etc. These machines have a future for sure; guess I'll just hang in there waiting for the software to become somewhat less Geek and more user friendly. If that doesn't occur in a reasonable time, maybe I'll look at the secondary market for a good deal that someone else outgrew or became frustrated with.

I lurk/lurked on the Printrbot and SeeMeCNC forums earlier this winter salivating in fantasy; then it struck me that I have very little knowledge regarding paths, layer thickness, bridging, etc. These machines have a future for sure; guess I'll just hang in there waiting for the software to become somewhat less Geek and more user friendly. If that doesn't occur in a reasonable time, maybe I'll look at the secondary market for a good deal that someone else outgrew or became frustrated with.

There isn't much to know. The software should do most of the thinking for you. Here is a video of programming a part for our printer. You orient it how you want it, press one button and it's ready to send to the printer. All of the toolpaths have been created for both the part and support materials. The layer thickness is determined by the size of tip and the software. 

http://screencast.com/t/8VxpNS3WwT.