Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyChopps1

Best source for materials? Vinyl, application tape?

My Graphtec should be showing up today! I haven't set up a tax ID yet so I can't get a commercial account with any vendors yet but when I do, where should I start?

Sorry I posted in wrong section. I didn't scroll down enough to see the vinyl section. Darn noobie. I haven't looked yet, bear with me I am a farmer and have slim to none experience on the internet...

So I am checking out uscutter right now. I'm looking at oracal631 and my question is, what is the difference between 631 and the 7xx series? I want a large roll of white and black to practice with but I wanna be able to apply it outdoors if need be. Will this work?

Johnny, don't feel bad. We ALL have done similar things and went...what was I thinking? USCutter is a great place for about all the vinyl and supplies you will need. You will want to get an account set up for substrates and those suppliers will also sell vinyl and supplies. Around here in Idaho we have Sun Supply and Denco Sales and I use them both but they are wholesale so yes you will need a tax ID or resellers permit etc. USCutter is cheaper for most things like vinyl and app tape etc... I read a lot where quite a few on here use other suppliers to but I have not found any that were going to save me any money over USCutter. 

631 will work outdoors too but its much more temporary than say 651 and the step up to 751 or 851 is changing to cast vinyl versus calendared. Do a search and a little reading and you can find the differences out. IF you have no vinyl at all you should have a pen attachment, most cutters come with one and you can get some paper or butcher paper and run the pen to practice and check computer connectivity. 

631 is mainly for indoor use. 651, 751 and 951 are all for outdoor use and each has different working characteristics and life expectancy's and price that run accordingly. 

And what about app tape? What do you guys use? I've been reading about problems with the clear kind (no problem, don't want THAT) but what kind will give me hassle free application of the paper kind?

rtape 4076rla is all I use. No complaints here

Ok! You guys are helpful. I am gonna un shun the internet and use it for info because I just learned how to find stuff on uscutter website and I like it. I am gonna buy 631 to practice on because it's cheaper and I'm gonna get 751 to do my final work on. Thank you guys for pointing me in the right direction, it helps to have a place to ask people before i point click buy my way into things. I'm still in a hotel room waiting for my shift to start but when I get home I should have a little pile of goodies to play with waiting for me in neat little fed ex boxes. :-)

I have mixed emotions about the clear. I keep some on hand and it works fine for some scenarios. I use the R-tape in various styles. Have not had any problem with the R-Tape at all. USCutter has some house brand that is ok but the edges are a little weird so I keep a 12" roll around because it's cheap but I buy better stuff for the wider roll.

In my experience DON"T use the greenstar clear, that's about the only one I personally would steer you away from. It tears too easy and will tear your vinyl when it does especially if it's cold. R-Tape clear choice works fine but stretches with heat changes. 

Difference between 000 and 010 white???

one is flat and one glossy. I would buy 651 to practice on because you won't need that much practice time. Or maybe a small roll of the greenstar brand which is super cheap.

• Like 1

I ordered 2 rolls of oracal 751 white and black, and a roll of 631 to practice. I got the 4076rla tape in 24" and a cheapo 12" application tape to see the difference. I didn't order squeegees yet but I am gonna use a couple of Home Depot ones to start because I have them around from work related jobs and I will add from there. Thank you again to all of you on the forum! I can't wait to post some of my art once it's produced to see what you guys think. My soon to be wife is bad to the bone at graphic design and already had made up some awesome art. I'm looking forward to merging from work to graphics. I can't stand being so far from home.