kauffman21

Etching an ipod

So I searched here and on google and can't find an answer. We have just started to do etching with aluminum oxide and have had great results so far on glass and mirrors. I have a question though for anyone on here that is somewhat experienced in this medium.... Is it possible to etch my sons name into the back of his iPod touch using aluminum oxide? I wanted to ask here before I just went and tried it, just incase someone has some words of wisdom since I really don't want to jack it up and have to buy my son a new $300 ipod!

My words of wisdom, be careful! Ha ha! I would be sure to wrap up every square inch of that thing and use as low of pressure as possible but I don't see why it wouldn't work great. People engrave them so etching will work fine too I'm sure. 

I say yes. Like goose said wrap it up real good. I’ve done aluminum before with good results. I did a Mag lite it came out great. I will try and search for some pictures.

Pics added...

post-21228-0-83490800-1393766586_thumb.j

post-21228-0-73251600-1393766551_thumb.j

• Like 2

Get a zip-top bag, preferably a heavy duty one, and a cut a hole in the side just large enough for the area you want to engrave.  Put the ipod inside the bag and thoroughly tape the perimeter of the hole to keep all dust and abrasive away from the rest of the device.

Then, after you're done blasting, detach the blaster and attach a dusting nozzle (or anything that will let you blow air from the compressor) and blow off any and all dust and abrasive remaining on the outside.  Then, take a paper towel lightly dampened with rubbing alcohol or clean water and wipe off the etched area and then the rest of the bag to remove any dust or abrasive left behind.

Then, take the bag somewhere well away from where you did the blasting and remove the ipod from inside the bag and make sure there is no dust on the device - if there is, blow it off with your breath or a can of compressed air - don't try to wipe it away as it will scratch the device and the screen!

• Like 3

ok one more question... whats a good psi to start at? My cabinet says 100psi max. but i wouldnt think it would take that much power right? I mean the small air erasers only take 20psi or so to operate, anyone have a good starting point for me?