Sign in to follow this  
Moody Blue

Best affordable heat press?

Hey everybody I have been doing vinyl work for several years and as a graphic designer I am no stranger to screen printing either. Well in an attempt to broaden my business a bit I have been toying around with getting into shirts and also offering koozies and other apparel, mostly going to be for car clubs and groups that I already do work with.  Being that I have worked in a screen print shop before I know that is not the way I want to do them. I found an inexpensive kit that comes with a 9x12 Geo Knight Jet Press and wondering if that is a good machine?  I know nothing about heat presses but again small runs of stuff and still learning how to do them I don't feel it is necessary to have the biggest baddest top of the line press...yet anyways lol. Also if anyone has a better recommendation than the Jet Press I am open to suggestions...this is just what I saw as the best bang for the buck.  

I would hold off for a bigger press. 9 x 12 is pretty small. Watch Craigslist, they come up on there all the time where I live.

• Like 1

I would hold off for a bigger press. 9 x 12 is pretty small. Watch Craigslist, they come up on there all the time where I live.

I was thinking a bit bigger might be better too.

I have this one and it's been in service for a year now http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-15-X-15-Digital-T-Shirt-Heat-Transfer-Press-Sublimation-Machine-Swing-Away-/390629129990?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5af34f7f06

Gets turned at 8am and off at 6pm Monday thru Friday and still going strong.

Hmmm this may be the answer to my prayers right here lol.  Just want something large enough to do simple designs and get a feel for the whole garmet printing thing.  Right now my main canvas is trucks so im curious to see how different this is.  

What materials do yall use?  I want some that I can cut on my plotter and also will be interested in looking into printable sheets later on as well. 

I use siser easyweed along with some misc. specialty stuff like decosparkle.

I'm probably going to get a new one next year but I want to find a swing-away or drawer style that has auto open (without air). I hate having to run over to the machine to open it back up and there is a lot of time wasted setting there at the press. I might even consider getting an auto open clam just for that feature alone although I now have an older hix and noticed the swing away is more user friendly for getting the layout right. 

• Like 2

I'm probably going to get a new one next year but I want to find a swing-away or drawer style that has auto open (without air). I hate having to run over to the machine to open it back up and there is a lot of time wasted setting there at the press. I might even consider getting an auto open clam just for that feature alone although I now have an older hix and noticed the swing away is more user friendly for getting the layout right. 

This is the one i got last year

https://www.signsplusbanners.com/itemdetail.php?sku=JP14&p=Garment+Application&c=Cutters%2C+Heat+Presses%2C+Software&s=Heat+Presses

I considered something like this but in a 15x15. Might get 1 yet. 

post-40404-0-51984100-1393594254_thumb.j

• Like 1

I bought the 15x15 swing away that uscutter has for $350. I love it! seems to be holding up well and fairly accurate for the digital temp. Swing away is def nice! Thanks to Jaybird for recommending that a few months back!

• Like 1

I considered something like this but in a 15x15. Might get 1 yet. 

Do you have a link Jay. That maybe my next one

That 1 is on uscutter.com. They used to have a 15x15 on there but I don't see it any more. The picture I posted is just for the table attachment then you have to get the press or adapt it to your press. Used to be a red 1 on the site for between $1000 and $1500 if I recall but the table alone is over $500 so I may have to hunt up a new source for them.

post-40404-0-74217800-1393600737_thumb.jFound this one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/15x15-Air-Control-Double-Location-Heat-Press-Heat-Transfer-Machine-220V-New-/271222158035?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2619b2d3 

2 issues with this 1 versus the one uscutter carried is 220V and air operated which for me is not a big deal but some don't have any way to run 220V or air. Oh yeah and it's almost $2k but it does look pretty solid from being from china