Sign in to follow this  
MadHatterGraphix

Sublimation Tips And Tricks

I want to start a sticky post that people can add tips and tricks for Sublimation printing.  Everyone who uses sublimation please add your Tips and Tricks.

1. The paper has two sides one that's bright white and the other is dull, some say it has a yellowish tint. However you want to print on the Bright white side.

2. Print at 300dpi images come out crisper and darker. you think your wasting ink however your not.

1. The paper has two sides one that's bright white and the other is dull, some say it has a yellowish tint. However you want to print on the Bright white side.

The transfer paper that I buy comes in a big zip-top bag with a label on one side that reads "Print this side up" - I keep the paper in the bag until I use it and that way I don't lose track of which side is which.

2. Print at 300dpi images come out crisper and darker. you think your wasting ink however your not.

That actually is going to depend on the printer, you really do want to print at the highest quality setting the printer allows, unless the instructions specify otherwise.  Also, use the highest quality original images.  I've printed lower quality images and they came out looking ok (i.e., 9x13 inch cake pans starting with the scan of a tiny wallet size print), but you may need to add a tiny bit of Gaussian blur or some other effect to hide the pixelation.

3) Always remember to mirror when printing - again, unless the instructions specify otherwise, like for a glass cutting board or other items where the image is applied to the back.

4) When working with a new item, always order at least one extra - the pressing instructions that come with products are specific to one particular type of ink, transfer paper, etc. and unless you're using the exact same products, you may need to adjust time, pressure or both, to get the ideal print.  Instructions are usually specific to whatever brand the company sells, so if you buy from Conde, their instructions are written assuming you're using Ricoh gel inks with DyeTrans Multi-Purpose paper, etc.

5) Buy a tape dispenser to hold your heat tape.  Trust me, it's worth it.

6) Use the proper color profile for the intended target - Cobra Ink for example will provide color profiles (ICM files) for aluminum plate, polyester fabric and one or two others.  The closer the profile fits the intended substrate, the better the final colors will be.

7) If you're too cheap to buy a green silicon mat,  you can use a silicon baking sheet and get almost as good of results - almost.

B) The liner paper that you peel off the back of vinyl and laminate makes a great, free protective paper you can use when pressing dye sublimation.  You can sometimes find parchment paper at your local Dollar Tree store - stock up when find it because it makes a great, cheap protective paper.  Use it until it shows color transfer and then discard - don't re-use it once dye shows up on the paper.

9) Always use protective paper, unless you like scrubbing a hot press - or seeing everything you press after that come out stained...