Sign in to follow this  
vinylgraphicsfx

Printing media on vinyl

So I got asked today by a long time friend.. if we do color printing on vinyl.  the question is where do I start? I don't plan to do large ormat just a simple table top printer that will do average items?

be prepared to put out 10K for a good used printer and laminator - there are cheaper ones out there but usually by the time you replace everything that needs fixed to get to a good printer you are around that amount.  you can get a 30" and daige lamiantor for around 15K new or 20K for the 54" models new - once you do you are in a committed relationship - the printers can't just sit for a few weeks unused and they must do self cleanings several times a day to keep them up to par.   I have seen a LOT of printers for sale that show a "good" print on their sample but when you try to do something with fine detail the print looks terrible (which shows up well when you ask them for a nozzle test print.  do your homework and know what you are getting into - if it all looks like you are ready to take the plunge then go ahead.   remember this is a different critter than your water based desktop printer - it can get real expensive real quick if you don't give her all the attention she demands!

ps keep an extra 1K around for those unexpected repairs - in 4 years I have replaced 3 heads (on the 2 different printers I had - both were bought used)