rbraley

How to get started

Ok, I have my US Cutter MH721, SignCut X2 and Inkscape. Everything is installed and appears to be working.

The cutter self test works and I have cutout some basic text I created in SignCut.

Now, I am having trouble getting anywhere from here and I was hoping someone might take the time to talk me through getting started.

For my first project I simply want to cut a set of numbers for my son's kart. I want the numbers to be white and I want them to have a black outline.

I know I need to create the basic design in Inkscape, correct? I can do this but I am not sure what to save the image as and then how to get the image into SignCut. Once I do I know I need to cut each color (black & white in this project) individually then overlay the white on the black, etc.

Can anyone help me get started? I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Rick

Layered Graphics using InkScape and Sign Cut.

1. Open InkScape, Click The Select and Edit Text box on the left toolbar (Has letter A as an Icon)

2. Enter desired text.

3. Adjust size of text if applicable by dragging corners.

4. Select the current Text and copy it to clipboard (Edit on toolbar, then copy)

5. Paste the text. (Edit on toolbar, then paste) This will be your Background Layer.

6. Select the Background layer, either one... then goto path on the toolbar, and click outset, (you can do this a few times to get the desired thickness of the background letters)

7.  Select either layer, and adjust colors.

8. Select both layers, then goto Object on the tool bar, then align and distribute.  Center on both axis, horizontal and vertical.

9. Save the image as an EPS file.

10. Open this file now in SignCut.

11. On the left hand toolbar, there is a icon that looks like a bullseye, this is your registration mark tool...

12. Once that is selected, on the bottom, highlight the icon that looks like a plain diamond (Registration Mark, No Snap.)

13.  Place Registration marks on image above the lettering.

14. Left hand side is where you can toggle the diffrent color layers.

15. Cut Out each layer seperately, then layer them...

Done!

Hey Tater, thanks for replying to my post.

I originally only had one color in SignCut but somehow I am now getting both. Pretty cool!

On another note, does anyone know how to angle the text? What I want is for the numbers on the side of the kart to slant towards the rear of the kart. The font I am using has the proper slant for the left side but the right side is opposite what I want.

Anyone know how to do this in Inkscape?

Thanks.

Great tutorial and works like a charm! 2 questions though...sometimes the text runs together.In flexi I have the option of increasing distance between lettesr...anything like that in Inkscape?

Also...can you do a shadow the same way,and if so,what steps are different?

You have Flexi and your using inkscape?

I dont use inkscape anymore.  I do not know if there is a feature like that or not

I only have the flexi starter edition. I'll have to sell my truck to buy the pro. It has almost all that I need,and with inkscape, I am learning to compensate for what it lacks.

I know the feeling.I sold a custom van I had 6 years ago to pay for the embroidery digitizing software I have.In the long run,it was worth it and has more than paid for itself.But that van sure made a nice little second home when me and the little woman were fighting.

You sound like me. I had to put my house up for sale to move back in with my mom (she is 84 and doesn't need to live alone anymore) and I told her...I can always live in my truck if I have to (it has a camper cover).

Anyhow,while I agree that Flexi pro is great software, I think it is overpriced for what it is,especially compared to comparable software.And like Microsoft,every few years they take the same old stuff,add a few new features,and expect you to shell out a big chunk of green to have the latest and best.

Last year I had a sign guy who was retiring offer me a complete outfit,Roland brand plotter,Flexi pro,lots of other software,and a crap load of vinyl,supplies,etc, for 10K.  I should have jumped on it.

Corel X3 can be had for about $100.  Learn how to use it, and I think along with Signcut, you have a better package than a $1500+ package from Scanvec....  Plus, when they upgrade in 2 years, you are out only another $100 or so if you want to upgrade.  Corel has a much bigger userbase, so their development cycle is faster.  The disadvantage is that it is not specialized for signmakers.  That disadvantage will become an advantage when you get a print / cut machine that does more colored graphics and you know how to use the best software out there.

My 2 cents....

I really appreciate this post. I just received my new Copam with Inkscape and Signcut and was feeling very lost with the software. I hope to eventually get Corelx3 but for now I have to work with the software I have. So this is my question. In Inkscape there is a blank "piece of paper" or work surface. Is this as large as I can design or can I work past the border and just create the image I'm wanting as large as I need, or is there a better was to do this? Also in Signcut it works in mm measurement. Can I set it to inches for me to think easier and not have to calculate in my head?

Again thank you Tater for giving such an awesome explaination!!! You have no idea how much easier you made my life.

pianomom

You can change the mm to inches, or even cm if you want. Open SignCut, click on settings, and then settings again......unit and area unit is where you change to inches.

As for the Inkscape question, I am not certain, but I'll go ahead and load the software and see if I can find out.

Ken

Looks like you can click on view and then zoom in Inkscape to make the page bigger.

I knew it must be something simple like that. Thank you so much for pointing that out. So, other than reading the help selections on the Signcut program is there an instruction manual or something that would have walked me through this?

Thanks also for looking into Inkscape. I can see where I can zoom in and out but that doesn't change the actual size of the so-called page that one would design on in the program. 

I'll just import the project into Signcut and see what happens. Thanks

pianomom