Ok so I have a customer that wants the American Flag on the left sleeve of his T-shirts. No problem I say, figuring he is wanting just a mono color flag. IE black like the subdued on military uniforms. Nope he wants red/white/and blue. No biggie I can do. However what would one charge for said 3 color flag. It's 3" wide X just under 2" tall. roughly business card size. I am thinking a $1 per? What y'all think? below is said flag

post-36874-0-65279800-1393179976_thumb.j

What technique are you planning to use to put the flag on?  What color are the shirts?

Cut vinyl?

Dye sublimation?

JPSS or Opaque transfer?

DTG printing?

I wouldnt touch them in HPV for a buck a piece... transfers sound like the way to go... how many is he wanting.

Wow, I wish I lived in your guys neck of the woods. I'm having hard time getting him to agree to the $1 LOL. I had one guy tell me the other day he had front back and sleeves done on his supplied shirts fro $5 ea. I laughed and said have a nice day.

Ow sorry it would be HTV white bottom, then the blue field and red stripes. shirts are orange and black.

I wouldnt touch them in HPV for a buck a piece... transfers sound like the way to go... how many is he wanting.

9 shirts so far. I may do these 9 and if he orders more, I will hit up dakotagrafx for some printed HPV

• Like 1

I agree $1.00 waste of your time.    I don't do shirts, but still waste of time..  I had a guy not long ago, I gave a quote to, say,  "I have a friend that owns a sign shop, says " It's only $10.00 worth of vinyl."   I told the buyer "GO have your friend in the sign shop do them, if he is talented, he should have no problem. "  The offer is off the table"    Then I blocked him.

• Like 3

You could do the 3-color flags on an opaque transfer - you can get 10 out of a single letter-size page.  $1 each isn't worth my time to fire up the equipment and do 9 shirts, though... and I'm cheap...

The HTV cost isn't an issue on that small of item but the weed on the starts and stripes would be time consuming. I think I work too cheap but even I wouldn't touch that for $1. Maybe if he was a major client and this was a promotional good buddy type thing then you could at least justify the investment of time. You will be lucky to get 6 shirts an hour done. I would say if it has to be HTV then probably 3 base color and at least a dollar per each color on top so $5 minimum. If you could do the transfer you could get like 10 per sheet of paper and easy to cut out nice and square and maybe then for a buck or two. 

The HTV cost isn't an issue on that small of item but the weed on the starts and stripes would be time consuming. I think I work too cheap but even I wouldn't touch that for $1. Maybe if he was a major client and this was a promotional good buddy type thing then you could at least justify the investment of time. You will be lucky to get 6 shirts an hour done. I would say if it has to be HTV then probably 3 base color and at least a dollar per each color on top so $5 minimum. If you could do the transfer you could get like 10 per sheet of paper and easy to cut out nice and square and maybe then for a buck or two. 

Yeah he is a "big" client for me, but he's cheap too LOL. I almost think it's better to bite it on this side of the issue and still get the $$ from the rest of the work I do for him.

As for transfers, I have an Epson WF2540 with factory pigment ink, and the last transfer I did came out OK but not as nice as I had hoped. Maybe I did something wrong, felt wicked stiff and plastic like. It was on the NEENAH JET-PRO SofStretch.

You could do the 3-color flags on an opaque transfer - you can get 10 out of a single letter-size page.  $1 each isn't worth my time to fire up the equipment and do 9 shirts, though... and I'm cheap...

Yeah I agree if it was just the flags, but it's a complete shirt design on back and left chest.

Any of the Opaque feel stiff like that, I'm not a fan either. I did just buy a few sheets of the IYA brand that is supposed to be the old Iron-All dark and it is a little better but not like I was hoping for.

I have a couple clients that call me and want one or two sweatshirts here and there and they like them in a hurry of course. I do enough other stuff that I basically do them for the cost of the product and donate my time to the cause. They sooner or later end up ordering nice big orders that more than make up for it. Like 500 hats last summer and 50 hoodies this winter, the hat job was my jumping off point to upgrade my cutter. There were two colors front plus a small logo on back.  If you are already doing the rest of the shirt with HTV then you can at least squeeze them in during that time and reduce the overall time spent on the flag itself. If you are already doing the whole shirt then throwing the flag on for a buck or two is a lot less of an impact to the costs of that job. I throw names on the back of shirts for a buck all the time if I'm already doing the shirt anyway. At least your only doing 9, that may actually be a good thing. Personally I would probably say something like "I would usually charge XX amount for the three color flag on the sleeve but I'll throw these in for nothing for you because your one of my best clients" and butter him up rather than worry about the 9 bucks.

• Like 2