JHew84

graphic gets "flat topped" while cutting

I've had this happen a few times but it wasn't as big of an issue in the past. Something about the boundaries around the actual image cause the cutter to not complete minor parts of the path outside of the bounding/transform box around the image. It's most noticeable on graphics that have a curved top, instead of following the curve from one side to the other when it gets to the top it will make a straight cut then go back to complete the rest of the curve, effectively lopping off the top of the curved piece.

Is there a setting that I have the tolerances set too tight on? When I go into Inkscape I can see the minor overlap of the bounding box on top of the image itself. It's very minor and I would have never noticed it had the final product (cut decals) not looked funny. This in addition to it happening on both my machines is what leads me to believe it's something in Inkscape rather than an issue with the cutting software or the cutter itself.

I've done a few searches but can't seem to find an answer to this problem, I'm sure it's out there I just don't know what it's called lol.

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

here's a picture of the screen in signblazer (this also happened in signcut when I used it before). The top curve shouldn't flatten out like that, it should keep curving. In inkscape the nodes keep it curving but the bounding/transform box overlaps that small portion at the top, it's still there in inkscape (just overlapped) but in the cutting software it's gone. it's also doing it a little on the sides, but that's not as noticeable.

Also I used to think it was because there wasn't a node at the "peak" of the curve, but this graphic actually does have a node there.

IMG_20140222_155630.jpg

Well I was going to ask if you were using signblazer. But in your last post you said it happens in signcut too. 

I only use signblazer and I have had this happen before. I haven't noticed what is causing it but maybe we can figure it out. Apparently its an inkscape error. but I can't figure out what would cause this.

Wonder if we have the image selected(selection border) when we save it so it cuts the top off?

Yeah I have no idea. It's weird, it's not like the transform boundary box should have any real impact on the actual image itself. And if it does why is it inside the actual boundaries of the image itself?

Maybe there is no link here, I'm just seeing a correlation. But I have no idea, glad other people are having issues with it as well. for the time being I've simply added a small circle to the top of the image, annoying but whatever, I'm willing to waste a small amount of material to make sure the decals I produce aren't deformed in some way.

Oddly enough look what happens to the small circle, I just don't get it. And it doesn't do it on all my images, only the ones that have curves at the top most part of the decal. So it has to do with the curve. Pointed, angled, straight, etc, all cut just fine.

IMG_20140222_233748.jpg

Coaster36, I think you may be onto something with how a file is saved. I was playing around with that image again and when I imported it next the circle was whole. So I removed the circle, deselected the image in inkscape and resaved the file. Loaded it into SB and the top wasn't lopped off even without the little circle above it.

I'm still confused as to how this could make ANY sort of a difference whatsoever, as a transform/boundary box is not part of the image itself. But at least I have a solution. If anyone has an answer for why I am still interested though.

So as long as the boundary wasn't there it didn't deform the image?

It shouldnt happen but inkscape is freeware so these types of things are going to happen. If you post in the inkscape forums over on the site I bet one of those genius can tell you exactly how to prevent that. If you figure anything out then please post back here. 

I'm not on the inkscape forums otherwise I'd make a post. I may go make an account at some point just to do some more searching about different features but now that I have a solution the reason has been bumped down my list of things to research lol.

lol well glad we narrowed it down. Just have to remember to not have the image selected. 

From the Inkscape Wiki

PDF/EPS bounding boxes

As of version 0.45: when you export an object to PDF or EPS, the figure's bounding box is the canvas (probably the page) rather than a tight box around the object. If you want a tight box, select your object (with the rubber band selector) and use "Fit Page to Selection" in the "Document Properties" dialog to crop the canvas tightly around the object. Then, you can export to PDF or EPS and get the bounding box you want. There isn't really a way to automate this process by using Inkscape's command-line options.

Does your image have a stoke as well as a fill? There is a setting that controls if the bounding box of a selected object encloses the actual path and not the extra width of a stroke or the entire visual object. Under Inkscape Preferences, Tools, Bounding box to use.

No stroke, I've found that stroked vectors don't actually cut around the outside edge but rather the path itself. Unless I was doing something wrong. If I zoom in close enough there is a node that is actually outside of the boundary box itself.

Also I have the canvas size set larger than the image itself. I went through those steps above and it didn't seem to change anything.

More observations, went back to edit some other files that had the same problem. If going from an SVG to an EPS it doesn't matter how the image is selected it still cuts the top off. But if the file is already opened as an EPS saving without the boundary box doesn't cut the top off. Might not be a connection but it seems to be working this way lol.

Weird, have not seen that happen, what version of Inkscape you using? I'm using the portable version of 0.48 R9939. If you don't mind, post one of your SVG files, I'd be interested to see if I get the same bounding box issue as you.

I have heard of (and experienced) problems with .48. Not this particular problem but,

backing down to Version .47 solved my problem.

I notice this behavior in Illustrator if I forget to set the artboard to artwork bounds. (if the size of the art exceeds the size of the artboard) I don't use inkscape but assume the boundry box is the same as an Illustrator artboard. It basically determines where the art ends unless there is a bleed set.

Try adding a bleed. Is there a command in inkscape to set the bounding box to the artwork bounds?