JohnnyChopps1

Graph-tec CE vs FC series question.

Read the specs on the FC model vs  the CE.  FC more features.  Plus the vinyl can be loaded in the front or the back.  Vinyl rollers can be in the front or the back.    FC comes with standard media basket, a big plus    FC much higher down force   CE  is 300,  FC is 600, FC is faster speed, but I don't use the cutter fast anyway.  FC can be controlled from dual computers.  FC Has ethernet connection. I don't think the CE can pounce.  But I could be wrong. FC much larger and heavier equipment.  The FC machine is taller,  Longer.  MY 30" FC is almost 50" long.  Better built.   But I also purchased my son an CE5000-60 in 2012.  Great machine also,   I choose FC back in 2008 , because  I was already using a 30" machine and had many designs for that size,  So, I wanted another 30" machine. I have never needed larger, but I love my FC.. over my son's CE... Once you have one, you understand. 

http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-FC8000-Series-Vinyl-Cutters

http://www.uscutter.com/Graphtec-CE-6000-Vinyl-Cutter-Bundle

• Like 2

Thank you all for your feedback! I got my hard earned tax dollars back today (sadly, I am 400+ miles away from the check. Check? I specified direct deposit!) and am starting to do my final homework before making purchases. I will never again do my taxes with unfamiliar companies, I feel like I was somehow unknowingly violated in my wallet. But aside from that, Mzskeeter I read and compared the CE and FC models. I think I am gonna start with the CE model and get familiar with it. The FC seems like it has way more to offer but by getting the CE I can get my foot in the door and also go through with licenses, tax ID, etc.

Every time I read reviews or specs about higher end models I wanna get the better one of the two but at the same time all of the extras may as we'll be Martian to me because I am a noob and will not start off utilizing the higher end features. I am comfortable with "good enough" so long as it is a servo driven machine and has decent durability. Any recommendation as to what kind of vinyl will be suitable for outdoor store-front use in a high heat area? We get blazing hot summers here where I live and am gonna start mainly advertising to store-front businesses in the area and such. I will see what else comes up but my main concern is that my work will not peel off the first summer of its life. Also weeding kits, does it matter how much the little picks and hooks cost as to their quality? I'm sure some are more expensive than others but I know sometimes that's just a scheme. Thanks again.

I never bought a weeding kit. .  For years all I use is Scissors,  an exacto knife with #11 blade,  (metal handle)  pointed down tweezers, (sharp)  and basting needles/pin cushion. Eraser end of pencil. to hold down vinyl pieces.  Use what you feel is right for your hands and what you think is ez for you.

I use a letter opening to cut off the vinyl

A pair of good pointy tweezers to weed with

and an exacto knife.  

i wouldn't waste the money on a kit. 

I think I'm the odd man out 'cause I don't use an exacto knife to weed. I prefer an Olfa knife which is just a fancy knife with breakaway blades so you always have a sharp edge.

I think I'm the odd man out 'cause I don't use an exacto knife to weed. I prefer an Olfa knife which is just a fancy knife with breakaway blades so you always have a sharp edge.

I bought a box of 100 #11 blades back in 2007,  for like $19.99  FREE ship.  Still have about 1/4  box left.  Always have a sharp blade available.

• Like 1

I prefer the retractable feature of the olfa vs. the exacto plus the round handle never felt comfortable to me. You never see an open blade on my bench unless it's in use because I am a magnet for getting randomly cut if I forget to close them. In the end the best way to find what works for you is to experiment with different things until you find what you like.

I use the point of the exacto knife to hold down things I don't want weeded. I have like 3 of the knifives you're talking about.  They just don't have a pointy end.   

I have have 30* blades for my holder.  I like those better then the standard.   Check them out.  

Hopefully my new toy I'm putting together right now will eliminate the need to use it.  LOL

I agree, you should use what feels right in your hands, but I have to say, nothing seems to beat one of those Stahls EZ Weeder, dental pick type, weeding devices.  After I switched, it was much faster weeding and seemed easier.  But like most things, it is all about personal preference!