lapsey

1st heat transfer project

1st heat transfer project.

I did a dumb thing, forgot to cut as a mirror image and had to re cut. Then I did another dumb thing, the temp sat at 300* for awhile, I kept checking it, and I got the 'geeky' positioned and pressed it, I lifted it and it was a little bubbly, and had scorched the fabric a little so there is a discolored square, I looked and the temp had climbed to 400*!

The rest came out ok.

Lessons learned.

Gotta figure out how to use my vinyl scraps now, I have some decent sized pieces after doing this project. I tried cutting on the left over smaller pieces and didn't turn out that great. kept moving a little, I guess that will be something I'll get better at too.

Anyways, I think the bag turned out pretty dang good for a 1st try!

post-77567-0-58911800-1392737867_thumb.j

post-77567-0-81997800-1392737873_thumb.j

Make your self a note and post it by your machine stating MIRROR HEAT TRANSFER...lol

• Like 2

I bet every single one of us has done that at least once. I have done it many times. You should be able to save all kinds of scraps on the HTV. I save anything that is big enough to cut and you will be surprised how many little misc names and numbers you can find a use for it. It's a good idea to pick up a quality infrared temperature gauge or I've heard of someone closing the pres with a meat cooking thermometer in there to double check your heat settings. The digital presses are notorious for being off. Mine is somewhere between C and F in la la land. I just use the gun to check and now I know where it needs to be. 

I honestly can't count how many times i've forgot to mirror HTV, usually though I start cutting, look at the material and OH CRAP! lol.

• Like 3

Forgetting to mirror is bad but forgetting when you hit cut for 5 shirts and walk away is REAL BAD. Been there, done that.

• Like 3

Pick up a carrier sheet and you'll be able to use your small pieces of htv

• Like 1

Forgetting to mirror is bad but forgetting when you hit cut for 5 shirts and walk away is REAL BAD. Been there, done that.

For multiples.... I always cut one by itself.... then weed and check.  Just to make sure everything is perfect.  THEN, I sill set up for multiple cuts at the same time   ;)

• Like 1

Yikes!

That came out well. I don't know how many times i have forgot to mirror or un mirror for that matter. What font is the tavern in? Really makes the name.

Gushing meadows

Just ordered some shirts, a few in my size to practice on. Gonna be so addicted to heat transfer...

• Like 3

Pick up a carrier sheet and you'll be able to use your small pieces of htv

Ok thanks, don't know what that is but I'll look into it :)

Ok thanks, don't know what that is but I'll look into it :)

I got mine from Walmart. Look for the "Cricut Cutting Mat".

Not Mirror the image .. yep been there done that.. I have only done it once on a BIG image..  :)

I have only done it once too... (that I will admit to)  B)

• Like 1

I got mine from Walmart. Look for the "Cricut Cutting Mat".

ok cool thank you I will take a look next time I'm at wally world

ok cool thank you I will take a look next time I'm at wally world

They have them on their online site also. Free shipping to your local store!!

I just purchased some of the Heat Transfer Vinyl from US Cutter and I do not have a Heat Press machine yet,,, Is it possible to use a Regular Iron, set at the highest temperature ??  Thanks

I just purchased some of the Heat Transfer Vinyl from US Cutter and I do not have a Heat Press machine yet,,, Is it possible to use a Regular Iron, set at the highest temperature ??  Thanks

Yes   that'll work

Watch that highest setting part. I burnt a bag experimenting with an odd location. Just make sure to keep the iron moving and not hang out in 1 area too long.

Yes you can use a iron but have to press hard. if you are a hand at building things there is a plan on youtube to make a press from a hot plate. was going to do one myself but got a order i filled  and bought a press.

Hi name is Paul, I am a rookie at this with lots of questions. Does the pressure of the heat press effect the out come of the letters on the shirt. I have the heat press 15x15 Clam Shell  has heat control which works great. Time don't seem to want to work for some reason And it doesn't have a pressure gauge. How can you test the press?? Clam shell. http://www.uscutter.com/Clamshell-Heat-Press-15-x-15

Paul

Hi name is Paul, I am a rookie at this with lots of questions. Does the pressure of the heat press effect the out come of the letters on the shirt. I have the heat press 15x15 Clam Shell  has heat control which works great. Time don't seem to want to work for some reason And it doesn't have a pressure gauge. How can you test the press?? Clam shell. http://www.uscutter.com/Clamshell-Heat-Press-15-x-15

Paul

There isn't a very good way to test the pressure. It's somewhat by learning curve. If you are using Siser Easyweed then the rule of thumb that is safe is to get it pressed good enough that you begin to see the shirt fabric pattern in the vinyl. If you can see that then you are in great shape. Good idea to figure out a way to check your press temperature too. A lot of the cheaper presses are off on the temp and this can foul up your job. I bought a decent infra-red thermometer gun. IF you get on of those it's worth buying a good one or your back in the same boat as trusting your press temp gauge. I've heard of people sticking the end of a candy or meat thermometer in the press and close it without too much pressure but haven't tried that method. 

• Like 1