lapsey

First decal ever

Got my new vinyl cutter up and running with no problems! Surprising considering I had no idea what I was doing because I'm new to all of this.

I also got the cut right on the first try! 

My first decal ever, and my first glass etching project ever. Some spots on the glass turned out cloudy but not bad for my 1st try.

(Don't mind the cat paw prints everywhere =P)

post-77567-0-46825400-1392521763_thumb.j

post-77567-0-96666000-1392521770_thumb.j

post-77567-0-42118700-1392521779_thumb.j

post-77567-0-30812500-1392521786_thumb.j

• Like 4

Looks good!  How did you etch?

Armour all glass etching cream, the cream sat for 10 minutes :)

---------------------------------------------------

Looks Great.. What software are you using ?

Sure cuts a lot pro that came with my cutter, still a lot I need to practice with that

If your looking to do more sand blasting/ Glass etching I would HIGHLY recommend one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-eraser-kit-69277.html
I started etching glass a year or so ago and I used to use armor all etching cream too and it works, but not consistently. So the quality control nut in me decided to go all in on a huge sandblaster (300.00) A couple of days later I was picking some stuff up at harbor freight and saw this thing and ended up returning the other sandblaster. It works just like an airbrush kit. the spray pattern is streamlined so you don't have to worry about getting all the small nooks and crannies of the design. It is abrasive but not so bad that it picks up the vinyl as you work.   Sorry for the infomercial but I love it and since your starting out I figured id throw it out there for you. 

• Like 3

Lapsey, if you want to give it a try, I'll let you use my air eraser, I don't use it since upgrading to a blast cabinet...

I might take you up on that some day. I'm trying to concentrate on vinyl projects right now, I'm starting to wonder if the glass stuff will be worth my time....hmmm..I don't want to take on too many projects at once.

If I decide to try it I'll let you know, and thank you for the offer :)

LLaurence, I was thinking of going that route. Thanks for sharing it made my decision for me. :)

Butch

great work Im a gamer nerd 2600 was my first gaming system now I'm all about Sony.

Ok with the cold weather none heated garage what do you use for a catch bin for the aluminum oxide in the house and where do you use it?

AO is what most use for glass blast etching. I think Madhatter missed the post where you said you were using etch cream. Pretty good looking results for cream so easy to see why it was assumed you were blasting.

If your looking to do more sand blasting/ Glass etching I would HIGHLY recommend one of these. http://www.harborfreight.com/air-eraser-kit-69277.html

I started etching glass a year or so ago and I used to use armor all etching cream too and it works, but not consistently. So the quality control nut in me decided to go all in on a huge sandblaster (300.00) A couple of days later I was picking some stuff up at harbor freight and saw this thing and ended up returning the other sandblaster. It works just like an airbrush kit. the spray pattern is streamlined so you don't have to worry about getting all the small nooks and crannies of the design. It is abrasive but not so bad that it picks up the vinyl as you work.   Sorry for the infomercial but I love it and since your starting out I figured id throw it out there for you. 

LLaurence,

What air compressor do you use with this Air Eraser Kit? I'm curious about etching, and this looks cheap enough to give it a low risk try to start out with.

What are you using for the masking?

Sorry I'm still new to all of this and don't know what that means  :rolleyes:

LOOKS AWESOME GREAT JOB. where did you get the artwork/ vector for atari controller very cool 

Thanks, I can't remember where I got it from I've had it saved for awhile, I found it through google somewhere

LLaurence,

What air compressor do you use with this Air Eraser Kit? I'm curious about etching, and this looks cheap enough to give it a low risk try to start out with.

harbor freight has a 1/3 hp compressor i think its like 39.99 i use that one with good results. but make sure you set psi to no more then 60. i tried my big shop compressor and popped the hose lol i forgot it was set at 175psi opps.

Are you using regular vinyl on the glass or some other type of material to mask the pattern where you sandblast ?

Are you using regular vinyl on the glass or some other type of material to mask the pattern where you sandblast ?

I used regular vinyl

harbor freight has a 1/3 hp compressor i think its like 39.99 i use that one with good results. but make sure you set psi to no more then 60. i tried my big shop compressor and popped the hose lol i forgot it was set at 175psi opps.

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I went ahead and got some things at HF. I bought the air eraser and a decent small compressor with some extra accessories. I've been playing with it over the past few days and I like it a lot. I made a box out of a clear plastic box I bought at Walmart, although I still didn't like the outcome of my box so I got on eBay and got a sandblasting cabinet for $105 with shipping included. Hopefully it works out. I've made a few glasses and a mirror just as practice, the air eraser seems to take a long time to do because I have to keep stopping to refill the aluminum oxide, so the cabinet I ordered comes with a gun included so hopefully it will quicken the process. Thank you to everyone who has commented on this post, I believe because of this post, I have found yet another product to sell to put food on the table.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I went ahead and got some things at HF. I bought the air eraser and a decent small compressor with some extra accessories. I've been playing with it over the past few days and I like it a lot. I made a box out of a clear plastic box I bought at Walmart, although I still didn't like the outcome of my box so I got on eBay and got a sandblasting cabinet for $105 with shipping included. Hopefully it works out. I've made a few glasses and a mirror just as practice, the air eraser seems to take a long time to do because I have to keep stopping to refill the aluminum oxide, so the cabinet I ordered comes with a gun included so hopefully it will quicken the process. Thank you to everyone who has commented on this post, I believe because of this post, I have found yet another product to sell to put food on the table.

Let me know where you find a market for this.  I'm all setup but I'm having trouble finding a market to sell too.  

Need ideas!