thomasmary

camo gun wraps

this is junk compaired to you hydro dipping. you all do stickers and can see how well they hold up. I print decals all the time and you wouldn't catch me putting this on any of my guns

• Like 3

jfought, it might not hold up as well as hydro dipping, but what mossyoak says it is easy to put on and take off, not for a long term cover up from what I read, just to get you thru a hunting season. I just bought a new rifle and I can not afford to have it dipped and I would not do that to a new gun anyways because of the warranty. I would spend 30 bucks for a camo cover that I can put on and take off. It says it does not leave a residue like the other cloth material do and the other stuff also starts having little strings start unravaling on them. The reviews I been reading is mostly positive so I believe it is worth a try and YES I do agree with you that it will not last a long time but long enough to get me thru a season or 2 and then I can get mine dipped.

Ive hunted off and on for 25 years and never had the need for a camo gun. Just a novelty in my opinion as its never interfered with my ability to get different types of game

• Like 3

If you camo it well enough what'll happen is you'll sit it down to do something and never be able to find it again :)

• Like 3

Throw something out here. Not everyone can afford to have top of the line products. Just because it is not hydrodipped it does not mean it is a bad product. From a business outlook .. Never close your mind to a product just because it is not as good as something else. To the 15 year old coming into the shop with a 150.00 shotgun it might just be what he can afford and to him it might make that old turkey gun the cats ass.

My Thoughts

• Like 2

I have been doing cerakote for awhile now and this is the reason I purchased my SC Series 24" cutter as well as some Avery yellow paint mask. Cerakote is much more durable than hydro-dipping but obviosuly you can't get some of the effects as an actual printed image wrapped around a firearm. Been designing some Kryptek stencils and digital camo for some of my customers projects.

• Like 2

Funny I bought my cutter to do Cerakote as well. Took off from there. Michael. Have you done a snow camo yet. My coyote hunters have been screaming for one. I have a few patterns in mind just have not found the time to do them. 

Point me to some patterns. I can easily recreate them. I've been doing graphic design for years and can pretty much create anything in Illustrator! Send me a link to some designs, we can go from there!

I might take you up on that Michael. Have you tried a spot repair on a finished product ? I made this knife up as a sample of what some things look like coated and how the colors blend. I tried to blast a section and apply an image as shown ( Black Area )  the edges did not come out the way I wanted. Any suggestions.? Look me up on face book if you are on

Heading Due North

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1231500_10151852236922943_640322830_n.jpg

That's one thing about Cerakote I have no been able to figure out! Cerakote doesn't stick to itself but you can apply layers after it's been flashed. Kinda strange but it is what it is. I'm pretty picky when it comes to cerakoting. If i'm doing an AR lower, upper and rail if there is a missed spot or dust I just reblast it all. I don't like to mix up too much paint and then waste it, kinda the same but parts that are near each other I would rather redo them all so they match! Have you tried Avery Yellow paint mask? It works pretty damn good. Just need to figure out what kind of vinyl to use with sand blasting, then I'll be happy!

I have had good results layering colors. A lot depended on which firearms I was doing. If I have the room on the fit all is good. Planning is a must. I have not tried the Avery paint mask. I have used a mask I bought here with mixed results. I did my first set of flames not too long ago. I bled two colors into the skull and kept flames one color. Going to blend in  more to next set of flames. 

How are you dealing with the pinks ? first ones I did were a disaster. I had an old tumbler laying around the drum type that just turns like a barrel. Works great for mixing and pigment stays put .

Black area masked off. I masked then blasted then coated

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/l/t1/1229851_10151851697307943_1871865729_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1/1382243_10151897064467943_466079362_n.jpg

I've done quite a bit of pink actually. First attempt was bad. But then I started spraying a base coat of pink, flashing it at 150 for 15 minutes then laying down the final coat. Any of the lighter solids like white, pinks and yellows don't do well over anything, specially black like Glock, M&P, XD frames. I tried to cover it the first shot and it laid down way too thick, blast again and redo but saw it covered better with a base coat. Live and learn!

All this talk about coating has me fired up. I have a charter arms revolver in the shop that I was using in classes. I am going to give the pink a shot..Will post pics

I'm looking to do one of my ARs in a kryptek pattern. Anyone know of any vectors so i can cut my own stencils?

I have to disagree with an earlier statement that you don't need camo on any gun. If you're predator hunting, especially coyotes, camo can make a difference. On you and your gear. They seem to know what guns and hunters look like and they are "wiley"!!

Personally, I buy the camo bandage stuff from the vet supply places online. (a cloth like wrap that only sticks to itself). Works great, adds grip, removes without residue, and looks cool!

• Like 1

Camo is another tool in the tool box. anyone who has ever hunted a coyote knows you need every you can muster

I thought you just painted a tunnel and a road on the side of the mountain and waited for them to run into it while chasing the road runners.

• Like 2

I thought you just painted a tunnel and a road on the side of the mountain and waited for them to run into it while chasing the road runners.

lol...  with my luck, a train would come out and run me down.