Dakotagrafx

Roh Roh . . . .copyright hits again

is it worth it?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/02/store_owner_sentenced_for_sell.html#incart_river_default

the government said he intentionally sold counterfeit trademarked items. The brands included: Nike and its “swoosh” design, the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB designs, the University of Michigan’s “M” design, and designs for Lions, Red Wings and Tigers.

someone manufacturing the stuff in the flint area is about to have a bad day also

It's not worth it!!! People come to me all the time wanting things printed and cut that has TM on it. I have to tell them no. I could use the money but not that bad.

HA Im from flint.....a lot more crooked stuff going on there then copyright infringement.

• Like 2

is it worth it?

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/02/store_owner_sentenced_for_sell.html#incart_river_default

the government said he intentionally sold counterfeit trademarked items. The brands included: Nike and its “swoosh” design, the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB designs, the University of Michigan’s “M” design, and designs for Lions, Red Wings and Tigers.

someone manufacturing the stuff in the flint area is about to have a bad day also

When i first started many years ago i made some well know logos and sold them.

Well A few thousand dollars later (money i paid to them to settle) i learned my lesson...Its def. not worth it.

he knew what he was doing, he deserves it. i dont feel a bit bad for people like this. But yea just goes to show ya what can happen.. Prison. and when ya get out, no life after that. unless ya win the lottery. 

hell it might of been worth it for this guy to atleast purchase licenses maybe.

The guy arrested wasn't making the stuff, he was just selling it. The article said he use to sell official stuff then gradually started selling fakes and eventually was selling only fakes.

The ironic part of this is that the American made stuff gets destroyed and the seller jailed for it while all of the "real stuff" is made overseas...  To me, the only "winners" here are the attorneys.

Cal

• Like 2

Every once in the while I get a request for a questionable item, I always turn them down. I think it's funny when they try to argue why you should make it for them.

I had a guy not too long ago that wanted me to make a larger decal for him. He wanted it in one piece.  I told him I was not able to do it.  My cutter was not large enough.  So then, as he stated, because I could not do his design in the larger size, like he wanted, then I should just send the vector  design to someone else, he chooses, to do it for him.  I explained I hold the license to this design, it is copyrighted. Then he wanted to buy it. I had to get stern with him, and tell him, as I already stated, the design is copyrighted. That is why there are copyright laws. I want no part of it. End of discussion.!!

• Like 3

Everytime someone asks me my opinion I tell them you you weigh the risk and decide for yourself because if you get caught you have nobody to blame.

• Like 2

the phrase 'happy birthday to you' is not creative and therefore cannot be copyrighted

a song by that name could be copyrighted, or an artistic rendition of the phrase could be copyrighted

but, if the phrase was copyrighted its use would be subject to penalties of infringement and free speech would not exist

also, the dispute in question is a trademark issue, it has nothing to do with copyright

If you want to believe Snopes, and Wiki thingy, a company, that bought a company, that bought a company, also aquired the copyrights to the happy birthday song. Supposedly, now Paul McCartney owns it. Maybe?

yes, there is a copyright issued on the famous song, which is cheaper to honor than to challenge, so it lives on...  just turn the other cheek...

unless your vinyl cutter somehow plays a tune that sounds like happy birthday to me...  :mellow: