lapsey

New to vinyl projects

Hello everyone, I just ordered a vinyl cutter, heat press, some regular vinyl and heat transfer vinyl.

I was thinking of doing tote bags, t shirts, and decals +more. I have a few questions about some things I'm not clear on even after searching for the information.

If anyone knows an answer to any of these questions, and I'm sure many do (been scouring the forums and people really know their stuff here!) I'd appreciate any and all imput or advice you could give.

1. What is the difference between calander vinyl and performance vinyl? Which one is for outdoor, both?

Solved

2. When using the heat press what temperature is recommended for t shirts? Is it the same for totes?

350* for 10-15 seconds?

3. What is the transfer paper made for heat transfer vinyl for? Can't you just cut it in a mirror image and lay it on the shirt?

Yes

4. What brand or style are those t shirts that are super soft, almost with a pajama like feel?

Solved...I think they are called ringspun t shirts?

5. I don't know anything about blade pressure, and angles, but when I find something that works will it pretty much work for heat transfer vinyl, too?

Solved...i think....60* angle?

Would still like imput on these:

6. Do you use those pillow things for the heat press that go in shirts? I didn't get one and I'm thinking I should have.Anything else I could use, do you have to use anything? If I don't use anything, the vinyl couldn't 'seep' through at all and stick to the backside of the shirt, could it? If so then it could also stick to the pillow.

If I get a pillow should I use teflon paper over the surface over it to protect it or is that just overkill?

I was also wondering where the best places were to get (preferably free) vector images for commercial use.
A lot places sell or distribute items I know that they shouldn't, I was tempted to buy a cd of some, (not from ebay I've read horror stories) but I don't really know how useful they would be, I am mainly looking for geeky type of images. Sciency, geeky, nerdy, VIDEO GAME themed especially.

Sorry for the long post but I see so many conflicting information so I thought it would be best to just ask the pros!

Welcome!

If you just do a search on this sit you will find most if not all of the answers to your questions.

That is how we have found our answers. This site is a great help but most of these questions have been answered numerous times.

I tried to search for most of these answers but didn't really find what I needed, so I thought it would be better to ask these specific questions.

I tried to search for most of these answers but didn't really find what I needed, so I thought it would be better to ask these specific questions.

It's here.   All the answers to your questions are here on this site.  Trust me.  

Not going to lie though, it'll take alittle work. 

I'll help you get started.   Google     "calander vinyl vs performance vinyl"

Calendered vinyl has a memory ( which means it has been stretched and will always try to go back to its original shape ). Premium & performance vinyl does not have a memory.

Oracal 651 is a calendered vinyl. ( but is used by most people on here ). Holds up outside for 3 to 6 yrs ( according to the color you use ).

Oracal 751 is a premium vinyl ( 751 is used a lots also ). Holds up outside for 4 to 8 yrs ( according to what color you use ).

Oracal 951 is a premium vinyl. Holds up outside for 7 to 12 yrs ( according to what color you use ).

Thank you Dawn, that is some useful information. Much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to provide some clear answers. :)

I think I'm ok with the vinyl I got, but am still paranoid about the pillow thing. I just thought it was expensive and an accessory, not something I really needed, but I hope that this isn't the case.

I think I will try the ringspun shirts, I read that they hold vinyl very well.

One thing I am still paranoid about is the vector art. Would like to create my own but I suck at drawing with a mouse and don't know of any other way. I don't know how people get these awesome images, are they all hand drawn and then scanned and traced or something?

My cutter comes with a design program so hopefully that will help me somewhat...

I use a pillow frequently but it is not something you HAVE to have or at least not that you need ALL the time. I only use it if I have a garment that will have a seam or collar or something near the graphic. Any kind of uneven pressure can/may cause poor adhesion. Not saying that it WILL but it has happened to me and that's when I bought my pillow. I actually have two pillows and a press pad. One big pillow about 12x14 or some such and one longer skinny that is about 5 inches wide by about 16 long or longer that works for sweat pant legs which I have found are a real issue because they all have a major seam running down the inside of the leg which is directly under the press if your doing the outside of the leg. The press pad I bought was 5"x 6" I think and I use it for crest prints on front breast jobs that have buttons nearby. It's made from the same stuff as the base of your heat press (silicon Rubber I think) Very proud of them for price, I would like more sizes but I get by. I have heard of people using mouse pads for this and they would work great too and be cheaper. 

ALL of these are used typically inside the garment to support the layer your pressing away from the bottom or back of the shirt. You will still need to cover your design to protect your heat platen. I have a teflon sheet but I don't use it very often mostly I use craft paper or lately I have been using parchment backing paper that my wife buys in huge rolls from Costco. Sometimes I re-press HTV (heat transfer vinyl) with the teflon to give it a slight pattern which makes it look more like a semi-gloss rather than shiny. 

#2 on your list if you haven't figured it out yet, each HTV product is a little different for heat and pressure and time. Siser runs more consistently at the 305* for 15 seconds for their main easyweed and easyweed stretch which is just about all I use. I have tried several from stahls and they work fine but they all have higher temps and some don't have an sticky carrier so if you mess up on the weed you have a problem on your hands. The general consensus is that the easyweed is pretty forgiving and it doesn't show any signs of failure even at temps as high as 350* so I tend to go a little higher than 305 to allow for heat loss into the garment and I like to run about 18 seconds just for peace of mind that it's getting a good bite. You can tell if you can see the material pattern through the vinyl that it's there to stay.

As far as graphics, there are definitely free vectors all over the place, the forum has a bunch here. I would put some training time in on the design program of your choice because you are going to need it. 

Thank you so much for your take on the pillows, will definitely get one later now. Been browsing a couple sites for commercial use images and everyone is right when they say it takes a lot of homework.

sometimes it feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I see a site that looks legit and then I'll see 1 image of something like Star Wars and it makes me question the whole website and I leave with nothing.

Thank you so much for your take on the pillows, will definitely get one later now. Been browsing a couple sites for commercial use images and everyone is right when they say it takes a lot of homework. sometimes it feels like trying to find a needle in a haystack. I see a site that looks legit and then I'll see 1 image of something like Star Wars and it makes me question the whole website and I leave with nothing.

You have to take into account what your final end product is about too, If you are making stuff to sell then ya you better be careful. SignTorch is a forum member and has some great vector packages that are affordable and there are several on the USCutter website that are nice to have for building other files. Even with purchased vectors you have to be careful how you use them. I bought a huge vector pack with my first cutter called Ultimate Ornaments Mega Pack that has tons of frames and scrolls that is a huge time saver if you are building someone a sign and just need something elegant to finish off the corners etc... Money well spent if you calculate the time you spend either looking for free stuff or building your own. 

The bottom line is that in the end you need to develop some skills with a vector based design program like Illustrator or Corel Draw or Inkscape (which is free). You probably have SCALP which came with your cutter but it is very limited in ability compared to any of the previous three. SCALP traces good and cuts good and has some basic editing capabilities but just isn't robust enough for doing the good stuff. Don't feel like you got stiffed though, when I bought my first cutter it just came with SignCut which is just a cutting utility and you can't design on it at all so the attempt with SCALP had good merit but falls a little short.  

I just downloaded inkscape yesterday, will have to play with it a lot more.Yes it's SCALP that is coming with it. I will check out the others you mentioned too, thank you :)