daugheg

etching cream or sand blast

Really depends on what you're after. Both have their advantages. I like the look I get with blasting better than the cream. The cream is a good introduction to the art, and several people use nothing but the cream. Really just a matter of preference. Now if you want to do something deeper you'll have to go the blast route.

+1 on blasting and I like the coarser grit look - cream is barely surface etched and can be blotchy - 

• Like 1

Cream doesn't show up on a glass once you put a beverage in it either. However the cream is easy and works pretty good for small areas if you don't need a deep etch also if you are doing some part etch and part vinyl details. 

• Like 1

If you're using cream, use VelvetEtch. It won't blotch as it's a slower reacting. I've done al cream for a few months while waiting on weather to warm up so I can repair my blast cabinet. I mainly do mirrors though, so it's not like there's much of a disadvantage. I just did a pitcher/glass set that I wish I had my blaster for. I'm very unhappy. I'm going to give the customer the option of a 15% discount or wait on another set.

• Like 1

Cream doesn't show up on a glass once you put a beverage in it either. However the cream is easy and works pretty good for small areas if you don't need a deep etch also if you are doing some part etch and part vinyl details. 

Any sort of greasy fingerprints will immediately show on the cream etching and make it nearly transparent...

The trick to using the cream is to ignore everything but the safety part of the instructions.  Slather it on and let it sit for at least 30 minutes before carefully washing it away.  As I recall the instructions call for a 5 minute etch time, but I've yet to find a piece of glass for which 5 minutes provides a satisfactory etch.  I ended up giving my jar away to a crafter who didn't want to mess with sand etching...

• Like 2