JessXEmoji

President Decals legal?

I see a ton of anti Obama decals online his face and name.  Is that legal to produce and sell?  Or any government person for that matter. I'm not trying to get into politics here. just a copyright question i guess.

Undoubtly it is I have seen it for years in newspapers , magazines etc mostly carticultures of them and even photos with some statement that they supposedly made.

Just did some google searching and it depends. Some is ok, because of them being a public personality, but others are not. However, it's not worth it from a political standpoint to try and do anything about it. There was a thing in 09 about Obama's lawyers trying to make some laws to control his image better but I didn't see what actually became of it.

I also searched the web before I posted here, I couldnt find much info. Seen where obamas team tried to stop some anti obama images during the election. There are also big name tshirt sites that sell shirts hats etc... imo who would give anyone rights to make negative stuff about them? Ive read where you cant use other peoples images like movie stars. Whats different about a president?

I also searched the web before I posted here, I couldnt find much info. Seen where obamas team tried to stop some anti obama images during the election. There are also big name tshirt sites that sell shirts hats etc... imo who would give anyone rights to make negative stuff about them? Ive read where you cant use other peoples images like movie stars. Whats different about a president?

It's something to do with that pesky first amendment, something about free speech and all that  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The issue is whether your image is a specific copyrighted image, or more generic.

The famous "HOPE" poster was later found to be based on a photo taken by an AP photographer and that eventually led to at least one lawsuit, so I would definitely stay away from that particular image whenever possible.

post-24492-0-18082400-1392081672_thumb.j

The issue is whether your image is a specific copyrighted image, or more generic.

The famous "HOPE" poster was later found to be based on a photo taken by an AP photographer and that eventually led to at least one lawsuit, so I would definitely stay away from that particular image whenever possible.

attachicon.gifBarack_Obama_Hope_poster.jpg

This should say "NOPE."

• Like 5

Here are my thoughts on the current administration...

To get that to come out would be very painful. That'd be 1 gigantic bowel movement.