Kelleybell123

Would Like All My AI & EPS Files To Be SVG...

Found this on another forum

Forum
To batch process AI to EPS files, do the following (NOTE: I've got Illustrator 10 in front of me right now, so maybe some of these instructions might be slightly different in CS. I'll check later and confirm).

1: With no documents open, open the Actions palette (Window > Actions)
2: In the fly out menu on the Actions palette, choose New Action and give it a name (say, AI to EPS)
3: Click Record.
4: Open one of your AI files
5: File > Save As... and save it as an EPS file.
6: In the Actions palette menu, click "Stop Recording".

Now you've got an action that can be reused time and again. Put all your AI files into one folder, and create another folder where you want your EPS files to go. In the Actions palette menu, choose Batch...

In the dialog that appears, choose your action (AI to EPS) and make sure Source and Destination are set to Folder. In the Source section, press Choose... and pick your folder with AI files. Also check the "override Action "Open" Commands" check box. In the Destination section, check the "Override Action "Save" Commands" box.

Click Ok, and go make some coffee. I would suggest just putting a few files in the source folder first, just to make sure everything is ok. There's nothing worse that finding out after an hour that they've all been saved with the same file name....

and this if you have Ghostscript and are comfortable with building batch files. (the loop example file appears to be writen for UNIX/LINUX but shouldn't be hard to make a DOS version)

gs -dEPSFitPage -sDEVICE=svg -sOutputFile=outfile.svg infile.eps quit.ps;

#!/bin/sh
for file in *.eps
do
gs -dEPSFitPage -sDEVICE=svg -sOutputFile=$file.svg "$file" quit.ps;
done

This is my turn to ask the million dollar dumb question. Why do you need to convert them? Are you having trouble opening or cutting them or something? You are in the SCALP forum so I am going to assume you have SCALP and I thought it would open them up. I'm just a curious observer. 

This is my turn to ask the million dollar dumb question. Why do you need to convert them? Are you having trouble opening or cutting them or something? You are in the SCALP forum so I am going to assume you have SCALP and I thought it would open them up. I'm just a curious observer. 

long story short I had cs2 & now I dont. I want to be able to view my AI & EPS files & make a book of all my files to be like a catalog. I cant for the life of me find an AI viewer that actually works! I have tried everything on line it seems!I really just need a viewer.

• Like 1

I gotcha. That would pose a problem. That free CS2 download may work but it's for older computer systems so if you are running newer you may have to run in compatibility mode. 

• Like 1

I gotcha. That would pose a problem. That free CS2 download may work but it's for older computer systems so if you are running newer you may have to run in compatibility mode. 

THAT'S WHAT WORKED!!! THANK YOU FOR MENTIONING COMPATIBILITY MODE!!! WE HAD SEEN IT MENTIONED BEFORE BUT GLOSSED RIGHT OVER IT..DECIDED TO TRY IT & FOUND OUT IT WORKED! AGAIN THANK YOU!!i'M SO EXCITED TO HAVE MY CS2 AGAIN!

• Like 2

I use XnView at http://www.xnview.com/en/ or Sage Thumbs 2.0.0.17 at https://code.google.com/p/sagethumbs/ to view and convert many image formats. Both programs are free and have worked very well for me. Sage Thumbs is an image files explorer addon for Windows and has AI, EPS support as well as 162 other formats. Also check out XnConvert on the XnView page.

Their description form the page:

XnConvert is a powerful and free cross-platform batch image processor, allowing you to combine over 80 actions. Compatible with 500 formats. It uses the batch processing module of XnViewMP

Mike