Wildgoose

Barter deal I made today.

Ok I did four shirts for a friend of a client of mine, she supplied the shirts from costco. While we were discussing the layout she mentioned she had this old heat press in her garage her folks had given her and her husband would like out of the way. I told her bring it over and I'd take a look. I am probably dumb but I traded her vinyl job which would have been about $8/ea. for $32 but in actuality used about 5 feet of HTV for this old old OLD I mean OLD Hix HT 400 clam press. Serial number is 5101...way old. It's a dinosaur but I think it might be just the ticket for a back up if my swing away takes a crap. 

post-20133-0-03086100-1391922570_thumb.j

• Like 1

I have that model. Yeah it;s old but mine still works great! You did good. The pad alone is an $80 item.

• Like 1

Do you have any problem with thicker garments or using a heat pillow? I notice it doesn't have a floating platen but the base looks like it might give a little whether it is supposed to or not. It heats up great and has consistent temp over the whole platen. 

Never any problems at all. All I've had to buy was a fuse and a teflon sheet.

• Like 1

last time I was at Myrtle Beach,,,where everyone seems to do T shirts..that was the most common press I saw. They are work horses.

I still see them on ebay and it seems like they are normally in the $200 range so either way I'd say you did good.

that was a great deal - the older name brand like that will run circles around the new Chinese any day!  - new may be prettier but gve me better performance any day

• Like 1

I'll play around with it a while. It looks like one of the springs is broken that lifts the platen but they look like just basic springs I can pick up at ace hardware. For $10-12 in HTV it will make a great back-up or possibly end up being my main workhorse we'll see.

never discount old as  being bad - i had one of these old knights early on and it worked as good as any i have owned - old - yes  - ugly -yes - small - yes bud did a bang up job

post-2742-0-20628900-1392046372_thumb.jp

I don't have a heat press, and just got my first cutter from US Cutter (34 inch mh871)

I want to do some T Shirts for my grand-kids What's a good size for a heat press? if i wanted to buy one

I did find a vinyl that you can use a household iron with - EnduraTEX heat transfer vinyl, but I don't know

how good that would work. I wish Us Cutter had this vinyl.

Quite a few on here use Siser Easyweed with a household iron. A 15x15 heat press is pretty standard and is the smallest I would go.

• Like 1

we still have one of those also, use it everyday, I thinks it's older than that one you are showing, as Hix does not even recognize the serial number, and still get parts for too. 

• Like 1

we still have one of those also, use it everyday, I thinks it's older than that one you are showing, as Hix does not even recognize the serial number, and still get parts for too. 

You have a lower serial number than 5101? Wow that's cool. The only thing I see that makes me a little nervous at all is that the upper platen has no kind of heat shield. It doesn't look like it ever did so it's probably fine, I just don't want to accidentally put my hand on that thing. 

You have a lower serial number than 5101?

yes sir # 2854

Nice! Beat out again! I can't even win in the consolation race.

Just a follow up on this machine. I did two jobs with it to give it a good try and was pleased with the results. The only complaints I had are

#1 I am spoiled with my swing away and don't like working under the platen and it's harder to place fine cut layered items when under there. Burned my hand only once though.

#2 the handle would occasionally pop up on it's own, not every time. I suspect some of the linkage might be getting worn or something for this to be going on. It only did this near the end of my last session. As long as i stayed there and kept my hand lightly on the handle it was fine.

#3 The old fashioned twist timer is noisy and annoying as are the sound of the springs when moving the upper platen at midnight doing late night work. 

All in all I'm thinking this is a perfect back-up machine to have around. I really like the ability to lace shirts on and just heating the one side, my swing away is a lot more cluttered under there and more trouble than it's worth to go that route.