stanger

Problem after problem

1. For a while I was getting eratic cuts, everybody suggested it wa a static electricity problem so I grounded the stand to the cutter and it went away.

2. During the middle of a cut, the machine will just stop. Sits there, does nothing. Like it locks up.

3. If it doesn't lock up, during a cut it will freak out and then keep cutting a line down the entire roll of vinyl until I can get over there to stop it.

I'm looking at multiple yards of vinyl that has been ruined because of this. It just won't stop.

This is the 34" SC model using Sure Cuts A lot Pro.

Still sounds a lot like static. You using USB or serial? Everyone says serial is the better way to go. I've not had any problems with USB but it's worth a shot.

Sounds like your using a USB connection..  It has been posted here too many times to count, to put a value cutter on a Keyspan Adapter.(that is the brand name)  Or a Belkin will work also.  Better flow of data.  Also a serial card into your computer, and a serial cable.

This is from tech support.  And it applies to any value cutter.

The issue could be a number of different things, likely static related if it's just stopping in the middle of cuts. The USB to serial adapter wont resolve the static issues but it can help to mitigate them since a serial connection is harder to interrupt. First, if your cutter is a first generation MH (mk1) it will need to have a Null Modem serial cable coming from the cutter to the adapter. Second, most radio shack USB to Serial adapters will not work... Or Staples or Office Depot for that matter. That's why we only carry the Keyspan USB to serial adapter. It's the only one that we can say for sure will work as it should every time and we've tested it thoroughly.  Another solid USB to serial adapter is a Belkin- but in either case you have to have a Null Modem serial cable for either to work. Banner John is correct in that a serial connection is given COM 1 by default, however, if you're using a USB to serial adapter it will likely get a regular COM port number in the device manager. If none of this helps, be sure to call in to the support department and speak with Mike Northman. 425-902-1302

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tripp-Lite-USA-19HS-Keyspan-High-Speed-USB-to-Serial-Adapter-/160804080791?pt=US_USB_Cables_Hubs_Adapters&hash=item2570ab8c97

ok so I need to get the adapter and a null modem cable?

Yes.  Try the serial cable that came with your cutter....

Keyspan plugs into your Usb port on your computer,  then connect the serial cable to the other end of the Keyspan,Adapter then to your vinyl cutter, serial port.

Thank you very much, I owe you a hug for all you've helped me with. I'll have to order the adpater but will now.

• Like 2

Thank you very much, I owe you a hug for all you've helped me with. I'll have to order the adpater but will now.

I hope it all works out for you.... ;D

I tried the serial cable that it came with (to the new serial) and the LED is blinking and not making a connection.

I'm not a techie but I'm pretty sure you have to aim it at the right port which will have changed. GL

If you are still trying to figure it out, here are a few tips:

1. Make sure all your serial ports match up Machine settings, software settings,PC settings must all have the same info

Typically I used 8-1-n 8 data bits, one stop bit, no parity on all ports (settings)

2. Make sure you are using the correct plotter model in software

Yes it's archaic, it's 50+ years old. In the computer world that might as well be the dawn of time.

Yes it's archaic, it's 50+ years old. In the computer world that might as well be the dawn of time.

Actually I was referring to the X25 protocol - The last reincarnation of RS232 it was created in 1985 under the IEEE consortium and under direction of Big Blue, but you are right the original protocol is over 50 years old, but no it wasn't the dawn of time I was there at the dawn of time and sadly  all we had was a small moth - the original bug!