rlvied

New etching for my shop

Just finished a new piece for my work shop. 3/8" thick cut and polished the edges. Mahogany base with red led lights

post-6565-0-06998600-1391700403_thumb.jp

• Like 5

El most of the time I buy my leds from my vinyl supplier but that piece I bought some from auto zone.

They have different colors and sizes. For the power supply I use old 12 volt adapters for charging cell phones. I find them at yard sales and flea markets for about a buck apiece.

• Like 1

rlvied, any chance you'd give us a tutorial on how you make your bases.  They look really nice.

Thanks

Very nice. I like how the crown gives the base a nice look, instead of just a boxy base. What material/grit are you blasting and masking with? I havent been able to cut that deep yet. Would you mind linking to which LED's you use. Those seem brighter then most Ive looked at.

About how deep of an etch would you say you have to do in order to get the light effect to work well?

Monkey I use paint mask with 180 ao at about 20psi because that give me more time to carve the area with out tearing up the mask. I try to blast about

1/32 to 1/16 so the light can catch the edge a light it up a little better. I almost always blast on the 2nd surface. The lights I use are these http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Lighting/LED-Lighting/_/N-261j

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the info. Going to have to give that a try. Im using extra fine black diamond currently and works really well on most surfaces, just doesnt cut glass as deep as Id like...like yours

Another question, what sort of gun are you using? I have a cheap harbor frieght gun a guy gave me for free that I tried out last night for the first time. It's clearly not ment for this type of work, although a new nozzle on it would probably help. I played around with the air erasor I have and while I was able to get a deep etch it wasn't very uniform and took WAY to long. Doesn't look like carving is in my future with my current equipement. :(

darcshadow - don't get too discouraged yet!  What was going on with the H.F. gun?  Tell us what you have for compressor and related equipment.  What pressure were you trying to use?

Cal

The compressor is a small 2hp, 8gal 125psi compressor. I tried 20, 40, and 60psi with the HF gun. 60 did get me a little etching but nothing great. The more I think about it the more I think the nozzle maybe the main problem. It's a pretty large nozzle, probably 3/8" and worn pretty good. This is not the exact gun I have, but pretty close, http://www.harborfreight.com/21-oz-hopper-gravity-feed-spot-blaster-gun-95793.html

Darcshadow I use a pressure pot. I just put a 1/4 valve on the end and put a 1/16' rotec nozzle on that. The only time I use a siphon gun is if I am doing a large piece that is frosted all over and not deep etched.