motoxchic

How to get cut vinyl lined up on window from edge to edge?

I have about an 8" tall section of a 84" wide window to cover with black vinyl.  Its at the very bottom, so 3 sides will need to have vinyl to the edge. 

What is the best technique for this? I picture leaving edges showing or getting bubbles trying to cut the edges on the window.

I have a much bigger job coming up with a larger section, so this will be a little practice.

Many windows are not level, unless you make a template or spot on mesurements your only option would be to cut the three sides long,center hinge and trim the edges. Just make sure to squeegee all the way to the edge and use a fresh blade to trim.

not sure about this, but if you pulled a piece of knifeless from side to side (the 84" width) and made sure its level you would have a nice straight clean cut across the top of the vinyl.

as for as the other sides, like kal259 said except no need to hinge. just take a piece of vinyl about 12" x 90" and slap is up wet.

oh.. and a real sharp new blade

one class I took, we were told on certain material you may need to snap the blade off about every 6 feet to maintain a clean cut.

kal, that was going to be my guess as to how to do it, and good point on the non square windows.  Good practice for this upcoming job (8 windows):

post-29312-0-75645400-1391460624_thumb.j

904gfx, i also thought about wet install, but I have not done too much of those.  I might try it with this small cover up job. If i cut long on all 3 sides, and use wet, seems like it would be hard to get all the moisture out.

kal, that was going to be my guess as to how to do it, and good point on the non square windows.  Good practice for this upcoming job (8 windows):

attachicon.gifWindow.JPG

904gfx, i also thought about wet install, but I have not done too much of those.  I might try it with this small cover up job. If i cut long on all 3 sides, and use wet, seems like it would be hard to get all the moisture out.

I would never do a coverup on that cracked vinyl - I would remove the old stuff first

sorry, the coverup was referring to my current job .. just putting a black strip across the bottom of a new store front window that is showing an ugly desk behind it. 

The catering sign above is a job I will be doing...8 windows in total, they are removing old, and I have to install new.  Will be a pro at getting my '3 sides' cut/installed straight after that.

I do wet. Squeezee to the edge and use a painters edge to cut along. Just recheck the edge after it's trimmed to make sure all the fluid is out.

• Like 1

I do wet. Squeezee to the edge and use a painters edge to cut along. Just recheck the edge after it's trimmed to make sure all the fluid is out.

So you put the painters edge up, cut along it, move it, cut more?  I can be a little reckless with a blade at times and worry about cutting the rubber or the newly laid vinyl.

Cut, move, cut some more. If you hold the edge straight out from the glass you can cut on the side away from the glass so you don't have to worry about cutting the  glass seal. Let me know if that doesn't makes sense and I'll try to find a picture of what I mean,

Can you find a pic?  that would help...sorry, I think I understand, but want to make sure I get it right.

Like this but I don't recommend practicing on your monitor. photobucket-21686-1391605434626_zpsaecd6

• Like 2

Like this but I don't recommend practicing on your monitor. 

lol

ok, got it, thats what I thought, thank you!  

Might be time to clean off my desk again :)

Nah, looks just like my place. All that crap is there as an ergonomic arm rest. 

• Like 1

WET application is the way to go. A little practice and you'll never regret it The desk looks immaculate (the keyboard is in plain sight !)