I'm a designer with some sign shop experience from college and we've been having a ton of small decal jobs come in for a restaurant that we've just launched. So I've convinced my boss to looking into purchasing a plotter for our office so we don't have to continuously bother printers for these little odd jobs. Are there any recommendations for plotters on the cheaper side that produce decent work? We're not looking to purchase a $1,000 plotter or anything. Just one that can get some simple tasks done. Do you think that it's worth it to purchase a cheaper plotter?

Thanks in advance

-CJ

Welcome CJ.

What does "small decal jobs" mean? Show us an example.

The answer to your question will be forthcoming, once we understand what you're trying to achieve.

Welcome from Michigan - find a plotter model you are interested in and enter it into the search box to get the comments about that one.

Hello and Welcome,

i agree give us an example, some small decals can be quite intricate.

http://instagram.com/p/j0byjZrtj5/

Here is an image of the most intricate piece that we've had produced for them so far. It will never be anything more than that. I forsee us using it mostly for big typography for a-frame signage and various "TRASH" or door "PUSH" signs.

Let me know if that's helpful.

CJ,  based on the information you've offered, there is no reason that the 30" SC unit can't handle all you need.  For $500 you'll be set to go (including basic items like weeding tools, t-square, app tape and vinyl materials).

Great, thanks. I'm looking at the SC unit. Couple more questions that I would rather hear from actual people.

Are these Mac friendly machines? 

Is the software easy to navigate?

I see a lot of mention of CorelDraw. Is that needed or are these friendly with illustrator?

I think thats all I have for now?

Great, thanks. I'm looking at the SC unit. Couple more questions that I would rather hear from actual people.

Are these Mac friendly machines? 

Is the software easy to navigate?

I see a lot of mention of CorelDraw. Is that needed or are these friendly with illustrator?

I think thats all I have for now?

mac -- No

software -- SignBlazer (free & very easy to use for beginners, but has powerful features)

Download HERE -

http://support.uscutter.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/GetAttachment/190/24198

You can use Inkscape (also free) --

Best of luck.

Welcome, from Florida. I've been using US Cutter  SC model for a couple of years, after first having their MH series. Does a good job for me. Have produced  2"x2" decals up to 34-36" letters for a billboard Good luck.

I think it is possible to cut from a mac but it might not be friendly, mainly the cutter drivers but that machine should come with SCALP (Sure cuts a lot Pro) which I believe you can get either format. Absolutely on the illustrator! You will be able to import your illustrator files into SCALP and cut either from your design computer or some of us mac users design in mac then cut with a windows based computer but you don't have to do that. If you find yourself having problems with SCALP there are other cutting programs out there you can buy or lease but for your application I think SCALP will work fine. If you are already proficient with Illustrator which from your post sounds like you might be then don't waste your time with Inkscape. It's a decent vector program especially since it's open source at no cost but Illustrator is way better. If you don't already own AI then you might consider Inkscape to keep the cost down but if you are AI trained then your going to be frustrated with Inkscape. (I keep a copy on my day job computer)

You will have to learn to use your cutter but it's not rocket science and the software just takes a little getting used to. This is hands down the best forum for someone in your situation. Nice people , willing to help without flaming you for everything you ask. I would recommend spending a little time researching the various cutters and the problems associated with various models and make an informed purchase. I say problems because there are certainly some quirks that accompany most of the budget model cutters but they are not that big of a deal once you know what's going on. Main things to be aware of with most of the chinese cutters is static electricity causes glitch-outs and some models have memory lock-ups if you send too big of file or too many copies at once and off tracking can be a problem where your vinyl doesn't want to run straight. There are ways to deal with all of these. I used anti-static cling spray around my machine to avoid the static charge, Only cut about 10 copies at once and pre-feed your vinyl all the way froward and back once to be sure it's staying on the rollers to combat the three main issues. All in all the budget cutters are a great buy and if you are producing with them at all then they will pay for themselves in no time. I ran a P-Cut for about 2 years then made a the jump to a high end cutter once I decided I could make money at this.

Oh and welcome from Idaho! 

We've purchased the SC Model. It should be here tomorrow. We're very excited. 

We are very much so a design agency first so the adobe elements are our game. We have a client that has required a lot of various decals and the prices for some of them have been absurd. I used to work in a sign shop in college that did vinyl cutting so I'm ready to get back in that game.

Thanks for the help

I tried getting in contact with Orafol to try and get a sample vinyl book from them but have had no such luck getting a response from them. Does anyone know how I can get a hold of one of these for my office?

Hi All,

I may have to change Username from nocutter because I just ordered a Cutter from Us Cutter. It is not here yet but when it does come I will have to change my username to dummy with a mh871 :wacko:

• Like 1

Hey, dummy !!!

I would bet there's a huge market for someone to write a book "Vinyl Cutting for Dummies"

A lot of the stuff in that book would be drawn from these Forums !!!

Anyway, go forth and get cutting, let us know how you fare.