ddprinting

Tips for installing 631, doesn't want to stick to wall

Any help would be appreciated with this.  I am trying to install some lettering done in Oracal 631 but having issues with it staying stuck to the wall.  The walls were painted 5-6 weeks ago and it is an eggshell paint.  Is there something different I need to do to prep it???  Will 651 stick if 631 doesn't?

I would try to clean it as much as you can even though its new paint and if its a rough finish after using your squeegee try using a tennis ball and roll it it over it firm and pull very slowly

Could be the type of paint. There was a thread on here a while ago about some of the stain restant paints and problems with the vinyl sticking.

Yes now I do remember something like that and if the 631 won't stick the 651 wouldn't either I would guess.

Maybe you could try some alcohol on a small spot and try a small piece and see if it will stick?

If you do clean it, let it dry for a few hours first, paint can trap moisture which will lead to bubbles and loss of adhesion as it outgasses later.

What kind of app tape are you using, is it appropriate for 631? I only use Oracal HT55 tape for 631...

I've had a few failures with 631 on the stain resistant paint. After you clean it well, take a piece of scotchbrite pad, and rough the area up a little. Only thing I've found to work.

Is the wall textured? If so, nothing will stick. In my experience, Valspar paints tend to be the best with their stain resistant technology, and the worst with having decals stick. That is, the 631 will still stick to it, but you have to get it right the first time. If you peel it off and try to re-position it then you're screwed. If the wall is not textured, 651 should most definitely stick, but be prepared to touch up the paint if you ever go to remove the decal. 

Also, if the lettering is super thin, you might want to try making it thicker (bolder) . The more decal there is to stick, the better chance you should have of it not coming off.