gcextreme

Light Boxes??

Ok i am looking at either buying a light box or building one...

it has to be at least about 12" wide.

Anyone have any good recommendations on where to buy a fairly cheap lightbox? 

Or how to build a home made one really easily??

Thanks

lots of surplus places (states included) getting rid of old xray boxes.  or just put a light under a glass end or coffee table

Craigslist an old glass top coffee table and put a couple of flourescent lights under it.

I got this off Amazon great table but when I put lights under it they blind me so didn't work like I wanted to as far a being a light table but with it able to lay flat or tilt makes it great for not have to look down the whole time.

post-83172-0-39533300-1392072624_thumb.j

If you cover the glass with frosted vinyl or something similar it would help diffuse the light and not blind you.

• Like 2

I was going to try couple things just haven't had time yet. But with your guys ideas I just might have to try and see how it works.

Would a gutted computer scanner work? Stick a light in there and use the glass.

yes that works too, many have done that, but of course you dont get a huge work area.

MoZo i may get one of those light table work benches, but how do u go about setting up the lights under it?

When I started i had an "L" shaped glass computer desk.  When I needed a light table I just stuck a table lamp under the desk.  Nothing fancy for sure but it don't get any easier and cheaper than that.  Both things I already owned!  

• Like 2

When I started i had an "L" shaped glass computer desk.  When I needed a light table I just stuck a table lamp under the desk.  Nothing fancy for sure but it don't get any easier and cheaper than that.  Both things I already owned!  

Same here.  

thanks, i see a few different ones listed, from $148-299

Yeah there is smaller ones and bigger I believe I wanted a big work area. I got room on top when i have it flat to work and still have room for everything thing I need right there

MoZo i may get one of those light table work benches, but how do u go about setting up the lights under it?

Never mounted lights on since they were blinding me so the leds I got from advance auto I put on my cutter but there is a lot of room underneath it to do just about anything.

I will eventually buy one of those..but for now im making my own.

Its made from all aluminum, the sides are 2x2 angles..with 2" flat strips that will be running down the middles..

I will put some clear lexan on top and figure out some LED lights for under it.

Its 26"x36"..should be big enuff for now.

20140212_192500_zps65fe6a75.jpg

I will eventually buy one of those..but for now im making my own.

Its made from all aluminum, the sides are 2x2 angles..with 2" flat strips that will be running down the middles..

I will put some clear lexan on top and figure out some LED lights for under it.

Its 26"x36"..should be big enuff for now.

20140212_192500_zps65fe6a75.jpg

Should be big enough for now.....LOL famous last words!   :lol:   I started in a tiny corner of my living room....enough space for now.... I have since converted my two car garage into my "shop" and guess what..... it sure is getting cramped in here all of a sudden  ;)

• Like 2

Yea i hear u. Never enuff room. All my vinyl stuff is in my spare bedroom for now..but once a baby comes all my stuff goes into the second living room...:(

Eventually i want to rent an office space somewhere in town but the cheapest i can find is like $400 a month + utilities.

thanks, i see a few different ones listed, from $148-299

GC I just bought a glass kitchen table from a lady moving 36"x60" $40 picked up a florescent light and have a nice table now

• Like 2

It helps with layering decals.  When you have to put one color on top of another it makes it so much easier to line them up with light behind them.

• Like 1