edge

Email Addresses, am I in a minority....

Am I in a minority when I look at Gmail or other free svc email on examples posted in this forum and think " Uh Huh..."?

Am I among the few who believe it doesn't give impression one is fully commited to their business, the same as they would be if a business name is used as the email domain? 

• Like 1

I used to feel that way but it seems like every time somebody gives me their email it's a gmail acct. so I've started to get used to it. Mine has been a Yahoo addy. since I started and back then I never really thought I'd be around this long.

I do feel that way and believe any business professional should have a professional appearing  email address. 

It is the first thing I notice when handed a business card or see any email address for that matter. And I do always ask when given a address such as gmail or whomever, if this is in fact their business address cause it appears to be a personal one, always makes me think twice and question them when purchasing something if I am replying to a business using a generic email. 

• Like 1

I have seen a lot of business emails that did not work or was parked. I would not put a lot into an email address at all. I have seen a lot of people with really impressive websites and of course a business email account that could not find their butt with a map and flashlight. I use gmail it is easy to access on the go with notifications on my droid and my pad. If it looks unprofessional

I must be doing something wrong because I stay busy constantly.

• Like 4

So so, to tell the truth a lot of the domain email accounts have difficulty accepting large graphic files. Gmail and hotmail deal with them great. 

• Like 1

I used to have the web site - just wasn't right for my target market I guess - so gmail here.  again the large files are no problem either.   I don't have to try to look important - my work speaks for itself.  no frills, bows or ties - just good work

• Like 2

My professional "real job" email address is lastnamefirstinital@ci.ottumwa.ia.us - do you have any idea what percentage of people get that right the first time I read it to them over a phone?

Gmail may not seem professional, but at least everyone knows how to spell it...

I have my own domain and usually use that email address for actual business work, but for internet forums and such I use one of my Gmail addresses and let them handle the spam...

I have had gmail since it was in beta and you had to have an invite before you could sign up. Hundreds of my customers have it. It would be foolish to change it now for no good reason. I depend on my work to make me look professional...not my email.

I have a domain name complete with email. I can count on one hand the times I have used it.

• Like 4

heck I'll even go so far and to say I use my business gmail way less than my personal one . . .even though the business one is what i advertise

• Like 1

I have my personal g-mail, but use my own webmail server for the business.  I do think it offers the appearance of professionalism, I don't have a store front, so anything I can do to make me seem more legitimate.  That and having llc at the end of my name.  Perception is everything when it comes to a customer, or at least to this customer.  I know when I hire anyone to do something, it helps to have a website or facebook and at the very least a non-gmail/yahoo email.  Because if I don't know you, I need to know that there is something more tangible than your word, and those simple things lend legitimacy to a business in my eyes and while that person might be a scammer, it seems less likely if they went through all the trouble setting those up, and it leaves a trail to follow, should the person be a scammer.

I have my personal g-mail, but use my own webmail server for the business.  I do think it offers the appearance of professionalism, I don't have a store front, so anything I can do to make me seem more legitimate.  That and having llc at the end of my name.  Perception is everything when it comes to a customer, or at least to this customer.  I know when I hire anyone to do something, it helps to have a website or facebook and at the very least a non-gmail/yahoo email.  Because if I don't know you, I need to know that there is something more tangible than your word, and those simple things lend legitimacy to a business in my eyes and while that person might be a scammer, it seems less likely if they went through all the trouble setting those up, and it leaves a trail to follow, should the person be a scammer.

I would disagree with the professional email address some are so damn long they have a hard time getting them on a business card. Besides it has not been that long.....especially for an old fart like me....that a po box or street address was the only address there was. If I judged the professional appitude of everyone by a email address I probably would not have work or work for a lot of people. I was at a repair shop today getting a muffler on one of my vans they had a bulletin board with about 50 cards only three out of them had a business email address.

• Like 2

Thru my webhost server, i have an email that ends with gcextreme.com...but its a pain to log in to the webmail panel for it..so i just have it forwarded to my hotmail account...i have direct access to that right on my phone, so its with me all the time.

i give most people my hotmail address...and if they dont like it, i give them the other one...and either way, it goes to my hotmail one, lol. 

on my cards its the gcextreme.com email address, and on my website. 

• Like 1

I was forwarding my emails to my yahoo acct. but sometimes it would take nearly 12 hours for them to show up in yahoo. No idea why but it became very annoying very fast.

I have my personal at gmail and my business at my domain. That way I can keep them separate and looks quazie professional. I leave my outlook to handle only my business email and use gmail.com for my personal

• Like 1

Old school used to think that way, everyone has gmail, yahoo, whatever..  Like was stated above, most domain address are WAY to long.... and if your domain site isn't set up for "mobile" viewing your loosing a ton of views.   If you're not on google +, twitter, pintrest, it seems you're falling behind in the social media world big time.  Changing world everywhere!  Heck it's a full time job just updating that crap! But hey, it sure works!!!   hahaha 

I use Gmail, but i pay the 50 bucks a year to use Google Apps with my  business domain.  i like it better than just @gmail.com

• Like 1

I just set up my own website through google. I'll bite the bullet for the 50 per year.

My full blown, fully customizeable, shopping cart system website, cost me $99 a year for hosting, $12 for the domain name, and $85 for year for my Security Certificate SSL..

But i also spend 1/2 my time designing websites for other companies, lol...just started converting my own into selling vinyl graphics and etc..so its a work in progress.

There is so much to learn about setting up an e-commerce website. I'm not sure which route to go. I am doing mostly local stuff but I really need to get a more professional " look". Shoot! I thought I was doing good just ordering some business cards. :rolleyes:

G-mail, cause it works.

I use and like that on my androids i have notifactions set to let me know when i recive a new message. I carry my samsung tablet with me with 3g sprint and invoice, accept credit cards and do electronic proposals/estimates on site and send a copy to the customer via gmail. I also carry paper invoices and proposals just in case.