rxninja

Decal Storage?

I've been using my vinyl cutter for a while now to make small decals and etching masks, but I've found that storage is a big of a problem. I've got over 70 designs in my stable now, not counting size and color variations, and they currently reside in a cardboard box heaped together. There's got to be a better way. 

How do you store your spare decals, with or without transfer tape already applied? Hanging file folders? Categorized ziploc bags? Drawers of some kind?

Definately without tape applied. The tape gets old and will not come off the decal. I usually don't make them until I need them. The ones I have laying around are in a drawer.

• Like 1

I usually don't make anything until I need it either, but I try to use the whole width of the vinyl (12") every time I cut, so I'll do rows of 2-4 cuts even if I only need one. That often leaves me with extras that are pre-cut and just need weeding and those extras tend to pile up and become very difficult to sort through. A single drawer/box is definitely not cutting it for me. 

Do not tape them. I had to throw away about 30 decals that were taped.. If i only need 1 decal i will save the scrap and use it for something small. You can cut those scrap pieces all day long

Depends on how long you're storing them for...I store mine (taped) in hanging file folders in a filing cabinet.  If only for a month or two, you shouldn't have an issue...I haven't and neither have my customers.  By the way, I'm talking about smaller decals for vehicles.  I'd never tape and store any type of wall decals.

I had to toss a bunch of premades on my pegboards because the tape wouldn't release. Now I tape them when I make the sale.

• Like 1

Keep the taped decals out of sunlight and where they won't be exposed to extremes of temperature or humidity.

I bought a scrapbooking storage box at a consignment shop - it's got a rack inside with plastic pockets, like hanging file folders.  It zips completely shut to keep out dust and pet hair and I store it in the living room, which seems to be the most temperature stable room in the house.  It will only hold up to 12x12" decals, but I can't imagine wanting to store any bigger than that...

I had some in a file cabinet for about a year. The app tape would not come off.

• Like 1

So what do you all tell customers who order RTA decals...as far as buy what you need might sell in a month...2 months?  Just curious.

I generally store anything untapped if possible, either rolled up or in a file folder.

I just tell them the the sooner they install it the easier it will be for them and if they must store them make sure it's in a cool dry place, not the glove box or behind their truck seat.

• Like 1