Sign in to follow this  
Dakotagrafx

Just plain wrong

ya, i feel ya. It is -18 here, 25 mph winds with gusts over 35. this is a bear of a winter. 

• Like 1

Here in middle GA, temp is set to hit mid 60's today...

Then rain & sleet tomorrow and snow on Wednesday!!!

Cal

Scott, I'm not going to tell you it's going to be in the 80's down here today. No I won't tell you!! :)  :)  :) 

• Like 2

Supposed to snow in SC in the next day or 2. Gonna be brutal, 1-3 inches.

Scott, I'm not going to tell you it's going to be in the 80's down here today. No I won't tell you!! :)  :)  :) 

No one told you to leave ...

post-2057-0-10099100-1390839569_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Supposed to snow in SC in the next day or 2. Gonna be brutal, 1-3 inches.

I saw that on accuweather,  your area is going to be bad.  .

I'd laugh at it being from upstate NY but they are not prepared down here and the ice will take out power lines. That and they just raised to 2-5" with a 1/4" ice on top of that. If it hits I'm going into hibernation for the next couple days.

cleaned drive yesterday and just now again - where is it all coming from when they say we are only getting 1-2 inches - bull........   even did the path for the dog again

cleaned drive yesterday and just now again - where is it all coming from when they say we are only getting 1-2 inches - bull........   even did the path for the dog again

Oh heck, from what I've seen this upcoming week is a sure sign spring is just around the corner. Speaking of upcoming; where were you 36 years ago this upcoming weekend? Michiana had three feet in four days with -50 windchill, if I remember correctly. Or as my offspring enjoy saying in their best senior citizen voice while mocking me "Back In My Day..."

I put this sign up in the driveway yesterday, just so the neighbors know to be careful when passing.

post-612-0-21894700-1390852557_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Oh heck, from what I've seen this upcoming week is a sure sign spring is just around the corner. Speaking of upcoming; where were you 36 years ago this upcoming weekend? Michiana had three feet in four days with -50 windchill, if I remember correctly. Or as my offspring enjoy saying in their best senior citizen voice while mocking me "Back In My Day..."

That was the year the roads didn't get plowed for days - the only sign of my car in the driveway was the cb antenna sticking out of the snow - we shoveled roofs then jumped off - even the 2nd story ones the snow was so deep.  The second day I had to walk to work in the snow waist deep even though no customers could get there the manager wanted to take inventory and knew I was only 2 miles away (seemed much much farther in that snow).   we literally had to have someone come in with a tractor and bucket to clear our big driveway as there was no way to move it ourselves more than right next to you.   yeh I remember.  that is why to this day I move the snow back quite a ways off the driveway and keep on it when it looks like we are getting very much snow!.  in 78 I had a friend stay up all night plowing the snow with a garden tractor across their yard - they had the only drive in the county that was clear the next day - couldn't go anywhere for days till the road was cleared with graders with big v-blade plows on the front but their drive was clear and didn't have to pay a fortune to get it cleared!

• Like 1

I've printed your response for my son's entertainment when he gets home. While clearing the drive earlier I was telling him " Yep back in 78',  ughhhhh.....we just took it one coal shovel scoop at a time...." He wanted to know why anyone would have a coal shovel. Which brought back memories of clinkers in the winter and cinders most certainly embeded in the knee when you skidded your bicycle on them in the driveway.

• Like 1

I've printed your response for my son's entertainment when he gets home. While clearing the drive earlier I was telling him " Yep back in 78', ughhhhh.....we just took it one coal shovel scoop at a time...." He wanted to know why anyone would have a coal shovel. Which brought back memories of clinkers in the winter and cinders most certainly embeded in the knee when you skidded your bicycle on them in the driveway.
When I was a wee lad growing up on the farm every one heated on coal and wood or should I say heated one side at a time. The old coal stoves were really inefficent and most of the heat went out the chimney. And we.scattered the cinders on the driveway and paths to the barn, chicken house and most important the outhouse. Of course our drive was 9/10ths of a mile long.

I rembember going to school during the fall and winter and after we got to the little town where we lived there were rows of homes with every chimney having smoke rising. It was one of my chores to carry in wood and coal and empty the ashes it was quite a job a little harder then turning the thermostat up when you get cold now. I have often wondered what would happen to todays generation if all of a sudden the modern conveninces were gone and we had to survive by our wits and our braun...how many would survive do you suppose?

I still heat with coal and wood.

I have a fuel oil furnace not sure if it even works anymore. Haven't turned it on in over 8 years not sure if the fuel in the tank is good after that long.

..... I have often wondered what would happen to todays generation if all of a sudden the modern conveninces were gone and we had to survive by our wits and our braun...how many would survive do you suppose?

Had a similar conversation at work last week. Suspect many of us would starve long before we had to worry about a heat source.

Our upper tier counties were under a Winter Travel Warning last evening with St Joe being the only one I know of threatening to write citations with potential for a $2500 fine for any nonessential travel. Which seemed a tad extreme considering road conditions were improved Monday nite over Friday. News reports indicate one ticket was written for the driver of a truck caught breaking into a business.

As sunny as it is today, couldn't help but see my shadow; am now most certain spring is just around the corner, isn't it?

I still heat with coal and wood.

I have a fuel oil furnace not sure if it even works anymore. Haven't turned it on in over 8 years not sure if the fuel in the tank is good after that long.

We had 29 acres ald leased almost 100 acres most was woods and hillsides but plenty of woods and we actually had coal mines on the property that we mined for our own use and to sell. Our water was from a natural spring we had a out house and our only utility was electric and like I said we were one mile from the nearest people. The funny thing I hated it when I was a kid and would actually like to have that place now.

• Like 1

stacey had another break down on the highway today - had to go out at 6:30 to take her a car to get to work and was 6 hrs before a wrecker could get there to take me to the dealer with the car for repair - long day and 2 hrs sleep last night - sitting in the car waiting to talk to AAA for 30 minutes lost feeling in my feet without realizing it till I went inside (snow pants good coat and gloves but went tennis shoes and not insulated boots - dummy me)   I am not liking this winter but car is at the VW dealer this time to get to the bottom once and for all at a great cost I am sure.  but she has to have a reliable commute vehicle

Buy some of those reusable hand warmers to keep in your car - you throw them in boiling water until the insides turn liquid and they're good to go again and again.  And they're FUN!  When you boil them, the crystals inside go back into solution and store that thermal energy until you click the metal disc inside and cause it to re-crystalize and then the crystals "freeze" and release all their thermal energy back as warmth.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=reusable+hand+warmer&_sop=15

The cheap air-activated ones that come in the orange plastic pouches at the checkout counters of most hardware/sporting good stores work great, too, but the pouches tend to delaminate if they get shuffled around a lot, so I recommend storing them inside a zip top bag to keep air out and keep them warming prematurely...

• Like 1

We have all been complaining about the snow and cold.....we could have had it as bad as Atlanta a little ice and a skiff of snow....and on top of that it got below freezing ..wow