Ravenwind / One Off Grafx

3d heat press

Laser Reproductions Inc. out of Illinois sells one that looks very similar to that ebay offer, and probably provides better support.

The pictures on the ebay auction make it look like it's nothing more than an oven for use with wraps...

The one from LRI says it comes with a small assortment of "vacuum formable film" which sounds like it's something you'll need to purchase for each new shape/size you want to press.

For $1200 I'd invest it into a well known name brand heat press, and an assortment of Cactus Wraps for items that won't fit the press and bake 'em in the oven.

I have one, I don't use it much yet, It is great for 11oz mugs but I am waiting for my supplier to get more of the silicone mug wraps, I found the 15oz mug wraps are a bit high to fit in as the lid will not close.

Our supplier seems to keep all the parts I might ever need.

We have just bought some phone cases and the metal inserts I will have to give them a go soon. 

It can be used as a vacuum press where you put the item or items to be pressed in and put the silicone forming sheet down or the vacuum part can be removed to press mugs.

hard to beat the price and function of a few cactus wraps in my book - and a whole lot cheaper

• Like 1

I thought of that also Dakota but trying to get a small footprint in the shop. I want to do the tiles, cups, plaques, light covers, ect. I can get a halogen cooker for like 45$ and 4 wraps but then i need to buy a new swing away press to do the other runs of items plus all the pads and what not for them. Just at a loss for what to really do. Found a new convection oven for 150$ so may think of going that way. Sooooooooo lost and confused.

I have 10 cactus wraps so I can rotate 5 in and 5 in process in staceys oven - works great - thought about the convection oven but why take up the extra room when the maytag gemini works great and is already here.  on the rest of the stuff even a clam will do them - some of them just use a felt pad that coastal, conde etc sells for deep things like the tiles and light covers - you will need one anyways.  I think mine is 1/2 inch thick and still use it on the swing away for even pressure and heat

• Like 1

When doing hard surface items, you'll want a Nomex felt pad that is roughly the same size as your heat press.  They are reasonably priced.

You'll also want a heat conductive green rubber pad bigger than the largest item you plan to press.  They are not so reasonably priced.   I used a SilPat silicon baking sheet and it worked just fine, but when I started doing cake pans I needed something bigger and more flexible and I finally broke down and bought a green rubber pad and feel that I got my money's worth out of it.  Any time you're doing anything with curved edges, like ceramic tiles, you'll want the mat to provide good contact all the way around the edge.

You'll want at least one Teflon sheet.  They can be found very reasonably on ebay - I bought 3 of them over a year ago and I'm still on the first one, so you don't need to buy a lot.  A better option is a Teflon wrap that stays on the press - not as cheap as a sheet, but still very affordable.

You'll want at least one big roll of heat resistant tape and a dispenser.  I tried to do without a dispenser and it's just too awkward.  If you get your tape off of ebay, pay attention to how long each roll is as some vendors sell very short rolls...

It would be nice to have access to an infrared/laser thermometer for spot checking the temperatures on your heat press.

You'll need "protective" paper to put under your item and on top of the transfer to keep dye from getting onto the press.  I use parchment paper for small items (do NOT use wax paper!) and for larger items I use rolls of the backing of Oracal laminate that I purchased from Dakotagrafx.   Always be sure to cover, unless you like cleaning a hot surface...

Not all of this stuff is essential, it all depends on what you're making.  If you're just doing t-shirts and mousepads, then none of these are really necessary, but when doing small items like pet tags/dog tags  you'll definitely want to tape the item to the transfer sheet.   Just buy what you need to get started and add accessories as you need them - I got by for a long time without a green rubber pad, for example.

If all you want to do is mugs and 3D objects, you can get by with just Cactus Wraps and an oven and not need any of the rest...

• Like 2