OneTwo

refine mh721 HELP 3 Lights and i have no clue.

Hi, ok so i have a refine mh721 bought second hand but not overly used before i had it.  Now i have been using propely cutting various wall stickers and garment vinyls etc for about a month. Not had a single issue. 

Until last night :( Half way through a larger cut the blade got caught or some mishap that led to the blade being dragged of its track, i reset the blade on the track etc and then it seemed to be working finished the order and then went to start the next. 

Then the problem happened, it stopped cutting mid design and just had some funky stuff on the lcd display. So i switched the plotter on/off, on reboot, the display is now blank and all three lights are lit (red-reset, amber-online/offine, green-setup)

I am gutted.  I am new to plotters but have some technical knowledge that i have picked up along the way.  So i have check the 'simple things' or so i believe.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance   

post-84573-0-31940900-1390474514_thumb.j

Good morning.

Looking at that photo, I immediately notice that you don't have a cutting strip.

That tape I see is torn and could be the cause of the blade getting caught.

Next, there is a red button on the right end of the machine which limits the carriage movement ("home position") --  sometimes this gets stuck or fails.

Then, I would look at the ribbon cable that sits above the blade carriage and verify that it's intact. While you're doing that, (and since you already have the right-hand side cover off) make sure all the connections are OK -- plug and unplug them.

Let us know what you discover.

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick response :) 

I have now checked over the hole unit making sure all cables are connected etc (to find some are infact hot glued in place 'practical') lol and having looked and check over the red home position button it doesn't seem to be stuck, is there a specific way i could see if it has infact failed? 

I should also mention that when powering on and being met with the three lights and a blank screen that if i press the 'Reset' button it does move the blade up and down but the actual carriage doesn't move at all. 

What in your experience are the possible diagnosis? And don't hold back, i am gutted but i haven't yet grown a sentimental attachment to plotter and named it lol  

Thanks 

The machine is not completing the self-test at start-up and you are experiencing an electrical cross-circuit somewhere. Probably on the motherboard itself.

Disconnect the plugs from the MB (including the home position red button wire) and turn on the machine, and then plug them back in. (Just break away the hot glue drops)

The fact that your carriage isn't moving would lead me to believe that the circuit leading to the stepper motor is somehow messed up.

Well after much tinkering and following your instruction to detach mother board etc. Still no change :(  I also tried reattaching the motors and carriage in various combinations to no avail.  It does almost sound like it is trying to move the vinyl rollers but cant on power on.  But i have inspected the motor for that and it does infact move and does not seem obstructed.  

So i am still at a loss. Please have you any more input?

Most appreciated  

Well after much research i think i am going to have to result in purchasing a new plotter :( unless any one knows a UK supplier of the MH series motherboards, because once i order the board and shipping total cost is $183! So any in put right now would be appreciated.

thanks